Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - Can anybody give any input re. title issues when purchasing an unfinished kit still on original MSO? It seems like I have seen previous threads where it turned into a big problem because of the difficulty in transferring ownership when only an MSO is available. I realize it will vary by state but if anybody has any comments or suggestions it would be appreciated. I'm in Texas by the way.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I had trouble with the state of Michigan with Mk4 #7750. I bought the kit from the original owner when it was just a couple months old. So my name was not on the MSO. Even though I had a fully executed bill of sale, the Michigian Secretary of State office, all the way to the state office in Lansing, did not recognize the ownership transfer. My only solution was by buy a surety bond (not cheap) and they treated it as a lost title. I guess I was lucky. They could have refused outright. I won't be buying any more kits except direct from FF in the future. An MSO is not like a title. It can't be signed and transferred. The only signatures allowed are by registered dealers.

But this was Michigan. I've heard from one or two other states that were maybe similar, but most are not and will accept the MSO with someone else's name if accompanied by a bill of sale. But you should check with your own state authorities to be sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had issues with my Mk3 #5903 in the state of Florida, car was not built and MSO was not in my name. They would not take the MSO and Factory5 could not change it by law. I found a helpful worker at the DMV who helped me get the original owner to electronically title it in Fl. and had to give me power of attorney to sign the paper copy then I got it transferred to me. A lot of work and a understanding original owner made it happen. Won't do that again. Be patient and keep at it and try to get as much information as possible to go with you to the DMV, you will probably be better informed than they are. Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, after reading the Texas DMV regs regarding "assembled cars, street rods, and replicas " it appears they are mainly just interested in verifying ownership of the frame, the body, and the engine; and clearly states that acceptable proof can be an MSO, or bill of sale, or title of course.
This is just a stage one hot rod kit, not a complete car yet, so I think I am going to go with it. I will post the results when I get to that point. Luckily, Texas seems to be one of the more lenient states and tries to follow some common sense policy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts