Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although not for a Factory Five, I have a question regarding the positive cable routing in my 70 Mach 1 restomod. I am using a 2nd Gen Coyote and the battery is located in the trunk behind the PS rear tire.

My plan is to run a 0/1 AWG positive cable from the fuse block at the battery directly to the starter. This run will exit the trunk area and run under the floor of the car. I have subframe connectors and the cable will be secured to the PS SFC. I will run a 2 AWG cable from the alternator to the starter, although I could run the same 0/1 AWG. I plan a run of 4 AWG cable from the fuse block at the battery to the Power Distribution Block mounted to the interior side of the PS firewall. This cable will be run in the normal wire trough from the trunk area to the passenger footwell. The path from the battery to the starter is the high current path, therefore the largest cable. I wanted the minimum voltage drop from the battery to the starter. The path to the power distribution block does not feed any high current accessories as I am adding external relays for the dual cooling fans.

On my MK4 with the battery in the rear of the car, I felt the 4 AWG wire was marginal. With the concern Ford has shown over having the battery too far away from the PCM, I figure that increasing the cable size to 0/1 AWG for the run to the starter will make the battery appear "closer" as it will provide less voltage drop due to cable resistance.

There is far more experience with Coyote installs here than on the Vintage Mustang Forum. Comments on my plan would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Grounding the equipment with a long run back to the battery is not the best way to do it for your average installation. The body of the vehicle, unless it's a type of chassis that's got multiple segments welded together(like a Corvette) or it's a sandwich of steel and aluminum(some new Fords), is roughly equivalent to 4 gauge cable. This is an adequate ground connection for most installations Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts