Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POR has a product called POR-20 High Tempurature Coating - Bright Aluminum.

Eastwood also has a product called silver high temp coating.

They are about $20 pint. Wondered if anyone has used either one? I have been impressed with other POR products in the past. I was thinking of trying this stuff on the headers, j-pipes, & side pipes. (blew the budget big time and will have to wait on ceramic coating the exhaust)

[ April 12, 2002, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Matt Kennedy ]

·
Charter Member
276 Posts
I've used POR products a fair amount - owned a 70 Mach 1 that needed some TLC. Used POR15 on FFR tubular chassic with no real complaints. I sanded blasted the frame and used their metal prep solution.

Tried their clear coating on the aluminum panels and it was terrible. Stripped it back off.

Used their high temp silver coating on the J pipes and side pipes. No real complaints. If I was to do it again I would use:
1. High temp silver paint for bbq grills if my wallet was near empty. Cheap. Easy to apply. Easy to touch-up. Slightly more shine than POR silver stuff.
2. Ceramic coating if I had a thick wallet.

·
4,494 Posts
I used the POR 20 hi temp silver on my headers, then baked them in the oven. I didn't like the result and sent entire exhaust system off to ceramic coat, which is great. However, the POR 15 gloss black I used on frame was easy and finish is excellent, only one coat needed.

[ April 16, 2002, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Bill32 ]

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Matt,
I also used POR-15 (black) on the Frame and am very satisfied with results, can't say the same thing about POR-20, that stuff looks great on intake Manifolds or other stuff but on the exhaust manifolds just won't stay, it will flake off, I sandblasted those manifolds and tried to keep them very clean before applying POR20 and still flaked off, use something else,
but DO use POR15 on frame and other items!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
I used the POR 20 on my headers after having them sandblasted. It flaked-off in no time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used the POR 20 on my headers and j-pipes. The headers are flaking but j-pipes still look good. I don't think it can withstand the high temps of the headers. Contrary to what the POR distribuors may say, I followed the application directions exactly and still got the flaking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used the Eastwood silver paint on my Cobra's headers ... bubbled and flaked right off.

Now I'm trying POR20 on my M6GT's headers. I "baked" the paint with a heat gun to see if it'll stick any better. From the descriptions of others here, I'm guessing the POR15 will flake off too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts