Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing everyone using POR-15 to coat their chassis and suspension parts. Is this more of a cosmetic thing for donor parts? If using new parts, is it highly advisable to coat with this, or will normal high-temp paint be fine? Also, does the POR-15 have a strong odor?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
KReed:
With respect to your questions:
-It is not just a cosmetic thing for donor parts, and it will most certainly keep your frame and painted parts from rust/weathering, old or new.
-If using on new parts, follow the process, Marine Clean, metal ready, then the POR-15, POR topcoat, optional.
-POR is the preferred choice for frames and donor parts, easier to touch-up than powdercoat, though some may have different opinions.
-Has a 'very' stong odor, and is advised that it be used in a well vented area. Fumes may be hazardous to your lungs, will most certainly stay on your skin for days if stained, use gloves, a good vented mask and cover all exposed skin.
I am sure that others will contribute their $0.02.
Hope that this helps.

Allan

·
3,760 Posts
Welcome to the forum, KReed.

I'm in the minority, but I'm using Rustoleum primer followed by Rustoleum gloss black in rattle cans. POR15 is sensitive to UV and suffers with any direct light. And Rustoleum is a fraction of the cost, way the heck easier to apply, easy to touch up in visible spots during assembly, and for my car (which will certainly see occasional rain but never Jersey winters) the way to go.

Will use it on the chassis (got mine unpainted for a $50 credit, which will likely pay for all my rattle cans...) and on some suspension parts. A lot of stuff I'm not going to paint at all. IMHO not all suspension parts need paint. Upper control arms never got painted on Mustangs either, and guys are taking 'em off at 100,000 miles or more to put 'em on their Roadsters, and they're fine. Nobody's ever going to see some of those parts after the car is assembled.

Hey, you're in Jersey. Send me a private mail (just click on my name at the upper left of this post) and join our Jersey Factory Five Racing Owners Group. We've only met once, but will meet again in February and have about 28 members now.

Hope this helps, good luck. Where in Jersey are you?

AJ

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,326 Posts
One BIG advantage to POR-15... It is REALLY tough. You can beat on it with a hammer and it won't come off. IMO, Rustoleum and most other enamel type paints you can just about remove with your finger nails. Gravel, cinders and normal road debris will eat right through standard paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts