Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Terlingua, Shelby signature, 6 vintage decals

Votes: 15 16.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Finally finished?
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to decide if I should attach the vintage manufacturer decals to the side of my nearly complete car. I have attached 4 options. Please vote on your favorite.

1. No decals

2. Terlingua and Carol Shelby signature

3. Four decals with Terlingua and Shelby signature

4. Six decals with Terlingua and Shelby signature

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am trying to decide if I should attach the vintage manufacturer decals to the side of my nearly complete car. I have attached 4 options. Please vote on your favorite.

1. No decals

2. Terlingua and Carol Shelby signature

3. Four decals with Terlingua and Shelby signature

4. Six decals with Terlingua and Shelby signature

I prefer #2, better with not too many decals.

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
My write in vote is to permanently affix the Terlingua "Griffin" then apply the vintage decals to black static cling so you can add or remove them at will. The Shelby signature...I'd leave it on the workbench.

GREAT looking car!

Jeff

·
Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
My write in vote is to permanently affix the Terlingua "Griffin" then apply the vintage decals to black static cling so you can add or remove them at will. The Shelby signature...I'd leave it on the workbench.

GREAT looking car!

Jeff
X2... The car looks awesome! Why make a permenant choice? And x2 on the signature.. :)

·
6,279 Posts
First, that's one hell of ride and I've been following your posts. Well done man. Freakin gorgeous.

I have two red fender stripes that are somewhat permanent which are peel and stick from a local sign shop. They can be removed with careful heat from a heat gun or hair dryer. I drove it for a couple of years with just the stripes and no other garnishes. The addition of the rest are the static cling type from Finishline. Dont know if CS ever signed the outside of a car like that but IMHO, I think it may look like you're trying to hard.

I honestly thought that the additional meatballs would grow old very quickly and that I'd remove them now and again. Truth is, I get more "is it real" and thumbs up than I've ever had without the additional meatballs and sponsors. I get VIP parking at track events and any restaurant or event that deems VIP parking. My front end is littered with patina and the interior has faded over the years wich adds to the illusion. Lets face it, thats what it is, right?

I love the look of your car. Very nice. I'd seen a MKIV (I think) up at LimeRock this weekend. Black with meatballs and dual bars. Not much for dual bars but the car was spectacular. Not sure who the owner is. Anyway, go with the static cling stuff so you're not committed. Also, don't align the top three fender badges parallel. Make them slope downward front-to-back or even less to follow the fender line from headlight to door. Making them all ground level referenced will take away from the lines of the car.

·
6,279 Posts
and tell us what else you have there in the stable. An R8 and a challenge car?

·
Finally finished?
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
X3 on what Jeff said. Griffin should be permanent, sponsor decals cling, ditch the shelby signature.
The Shelby Social Director signature was part of the scheme for the Terlingua Team cars and was present on them from the research I've done on the car. If my intention is to copy one of them then it should be there. I know the sentiment towards the ole chicken farmer, but I've got no gripes against him. That signature and the Terlingua decal all match the yellow on the stripe and team logo. To me they are kind of a set. All or none.

That being said the team cars all had vintage manufacturer decals on them too so if I'm being true to the car they should be there too. I still can't decide and enjoy all the opinions on here. Keep them coming.

BTW, the cars in the background are a R8 V10 spyder and a Ford GT. My Can-Am commander is behind with the roll cage.

Otis

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Otis,
GREAT looking car!

You said #2 without the Shelby signature is not an option, so that eliminates my vote.

Whatever you do, it's going to attract a lot of attention. :thumbup1:

·
Finally finished?
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No #2 without signature isn't out of the running. The griffin (actually a rabbit?) only is definitely an option and I'm warming up to that idea. Don't think I can add another option? Moderator can you?

Otis

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Great Car

X Whatever we are up to.

Beautiful car. Nothing against the farmer but this is your car, not his.

GREAT looking car!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I vote for the six, but I might be a bit biased.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ac cobra Classic car

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Sorry forgot. That's also a beautiful car! I have been following your posts with great interest. Well done! Scott

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
You piqued my curiousity Otis and I turned up an interesting aside; in the late 1990s a handful of tribute CSX4000 cars were done up in TRT livery by now defunct SAI dealer Texas Cobras Ltd. Here is one of them from a 2002 meet:

The Terlingua car that I always think of was Jerry Titus' very successful Mustang from the early days of Trans Am:

Once again, you've done a fantastic job on your roadster and none of the combinations will be a bad choice :)

Jeff

·
Very New
47 Posts
There was a website that sold cobra decal sets and I believe stencils for goodyear billboards. Does anyone remember the website? I think I remeber seeing this decal set on there.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
That's a rabbit, not a griffin.

I like it all, as JKleiner's posted pic shows, it's all there.

Makes me want to go black with mine.

Vic

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,654 Posts
None of Carroll's decals, went with my own. That choice was not listed.

But, from the listed choices, go with the most authentic since you are after an identical look. Just remember back then they just slapped them on the car, no alignment tools or straight-edges when putting them on back then, so I challenge you to install your choices that way as well!

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
The Terlingua decal is a must. I like the idea of the others but maybe not all six. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you decide. It'll look great no matter what.

Lionel, this might be the site you were thinking about. I called them a while back. They come standard as stick on, somewhat permanent, but they will do them in vinyl cling: Cobra Kits : Raceline Digital, Do More for Less

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.