Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a polished upper and lower Cobra EFI intake to replace my existing Cobra intake. After trying to dry fit the lower, I see that the water outlet at the thermostat bumps against the TPS(?) on the distributor. The lower intake that I removed has a dimple at the water outlet to allow for the distributor. Not happy. So, I painted the original lower black and put it back on. At least I'll have a shiny upper and a nice shiny shelf ornament. Is there a better solution?

[ March 03, 2007, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: DMW ]

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
DMW:
I'm not sure what you mean by the TPS on the distributor.
The only TPS I know about is the Throttle Position Sensor on the throttle body,maybe post a picture for clarity.
HTH,
Paul M.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,085 Posts
TFI plug.

You could redrop the distributor, just be sure to keep the #1 aligned on the cap so you don't mess up the sequential injector firing.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post some pictures later. Gotta go out tonight.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Bad info on my part. (Deleted.Sorry....should have known better :rolleyes: )
Baron

[ March 04, 2007, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: snkbte ]

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
When looking at the distributor from above, it sounds like your TFI module points at something like 7 or 8 o'clock to be interfering with the water neck. It should point at something like 4 or 5 o'clock. Pull the distributor out, turn counter clockwise to get the TFI module pointing at 4 or 5 o'clock (ish), and before you drop it back in, rotate the rotor a corresponding amount so it still points at the same general area of the distributor cap that it did before you moved the distributor. Reset timing, and you should be good to go.

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Rotate the distributer as mentioned 1 tooth. You will need to re-time the motor but it should clear the water outlet

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the pictures. I didn't want to mess with the distributor but it looks like I don't have a choice if I want to have the lower polished.

Both pictures are poor quality but the first one shows the original lower intake relative to the distributor. This original lower has a dimple that lets it clear the distributor TFI module. The second picture shows the new lower intake with the blade of the screwdriver pointed at where there should be a dimple but there isn't a dimple.

So, to correct this I'll take the advice above and hope I get it right!

·
Senior Charter Member
3,085 Posts
Don't turn the distributor and move the wires over one. The #1 hall effect position is important in setting the injector timing. You need to redrop the distributor.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Ditto re-drop.

Unbolt dist, "unscrew" rotor back a tooth. Drop back down. Set timing.

If it doesn't drop, bump the starter ( Or manually turn over engine, breaker bar.) while holding pressure down on the dist. The oil shaft will line itself up and it will drop.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
That would be my guess also. You are off a tooth on the distributor. My module points more towards the drivers wheel than that. If that doesn't work you could always try the BFH. :D :D :D I would not bump the starter while trying to install though could mess everything up causing you to find #1 TDC and everything.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
had that problem too pick distributor out of engine rotate housing not rotor re check timing Bob
ps take a digital pic of the rotor orientation before so you have something to go by when re installing

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Let me see if I can clear up some confusion here. (Most of this only applies if you are running Ford Duraspark distributor and fuel injection)

The thing you need to keep in mind is what Narve was alluding to in the post above:
Don't turn the distributor and move the wires over one. The #1 hall effect position is important in setting the injector timing. You need to redrop the distributor.
The reason is this: The computer fires the injectors sequentially in the same order as the firing order. The only way it can fire each injector in time with each cylinder is if the distributor is dropped in the motor in the right position when cylinder # 1 is at TDC firing.

Here is how you do that:
Ford Fuel Injection - Setting initial TDC timing

By the way, if you install a cam that has a different firing order than the computer, the computer is still firing the injectors in the order it was programmed for. That can cause idling and A/F issues.

Here is a short explanation on that issue, too:
Injector timing

On the issue of rotating the engine to get the oil pump drive to engage. Some of you said not to, fearing you would lose TDC. The deal is, once you have dropped the distributor all the way down to the last 1/4" or so, the distributor gear is already in mesh with the cam gear. So if the rotor has rotated clockwise as you lowered the distributor and looks like it is going to be pointing where you want it to end up, but the distributor won't drop down that last little bit, it's because the distributor's female hex is not lined up with the oil pump drive shaft hex. You can turn the engine a bit to get them to line up so the distributor will drop all the way down without losing your TDC setting. It shouldn't take much.

P.S. - Thanks to fordfuelinjection.com for their handy tech articles!

Steve
http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
As to DMW's original issue, you are going to have to go through the above procedures and see where the TFI ends up.

Steve

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
Dave I think if you rotate both both the distributer housing and the roter together counter clockwise you won't have a problem. Just keep the relationship between the rotor and the distributer hosing the same.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Not uncommon on the newer (chinese made) Ford intakes. We have touched (ground off) the TFM to clear or rotated it to clear. The problem is it will hit the other side unless you are lucky and the timing works out just right. That end of the TFM is just plastic and it takes much less than it looks to make it fit. HTH, Cheers Richard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts