Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
If someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
I just finished sanding and polishing the upper intake manifold, but too many pinholes. At this point I don't know if I should try a different technique of polishing or just paint it. :confused: I want to go the cheapest way but also i want it to look nice...

·
5,559 Posts
How about powdercoating? That's very reasonably priced, and will look nice. You could also have it ceramic coated like the sidepipes, that would give it the "polished aluminum" look you were originally after...

Brian

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
They all look good but polished definitely looks the best. But....I heard that polishing is something like a 20 hour job.

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Gene, just sent you some pictures of a Powder coated intake.
Ben Smith

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I once owned a Mustang where the previous owner painted it with your typical 2 part automotive silver paint. It looked great and was very tough. I don't see any problem using that on the upper and lower intakes. Just mask everything off where you don't want paint. A body shop should do this for you for cheap, especially if you prep it first.

Polishing can look cool, but like you've discovered, the porosity of the aluminum casting makes it less than perfect sometimes. It's also a TON of work, and makes a huge mess. I did one once..never again. Can't argue with how well it looks though.

For intake manifolds, I use VHT high temp brake caliper paint in aluminum color. For some reason this silver paint is not only very brilliant and "metal flakey" but it is also very tough, and gasoline does not seem to affect it. It's made to resist brake fluid so that makes sense. I haven't found a better silver paint anywhere yet.

·
1,743 Posts
Both finishes look really nice when done correctly. Mine is polished and only took me about 45 seconds (to write the check...$105.00).

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
Originally posted by DMW:
They all look good but polished definitely looks the best. But....I heard that polishing is something like a 20 hour job.
To make it look really nice, it's more like a 40 hour job and most of that is by hand :(

I've done two and swore I wouldn't do another, but it's been two years and I just bought a used Cobra intake, so I would figure I'll be doing it again like the fool that I am. :confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had mine (GT40) powder coated to match my black and silver valve covers. The powder coating is a black texture and is a perfect match. The best thing is it looks clean and is simple to take care of.

·
Banned
426 Posts
Make it shiny
CHROME everything

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Yes, you will find pinholes in the upper intake because the stock Ford casting are of poor quality (cosmetic...not durability or flow wise) and they were meant to be painted.

However, my intake was yellow and discolored so it wasn't going in my Cobra without something being done to it.

Here is the polished intake I ended up with:

Sent it out to a polishing shop here in the Charlotte area. For about $175 they polished the upper and sides of the intake (not underside) and the throttle body. Job was completed in 3 business days.

For the pinholes, you can melt solder into the pinholes and then sand and buff and minimize the imperfections. Just takes more time and effort...

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Why not do a little of both? This one is translucent powdercoat over polished alum. The rest of the car is also red, so it matches. You can get other translucent colors to match your color scheme.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
That looks sweet Bob. You're going to have a fantastic looking motor with parts on it like that.

The above process on the stock intake would look cool, but I'm not sure I would put that much time, effort, and money into a stock intake.

·
2,071 Posts
I really like the polished look. Someone here on the forum had a manifold coated with either ceramic or powder and you could not tell it from polished except that it always looks good and never needs any routine maintance. Does anybody remember who this was?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Chuck: That would be Larry Johnson...similar intake to mine, but for a SN-95 5.0 engine. We probably spent about the same thing for a similar appearance...from the pics you can tell his is coated as I can get a good reflection in my intake (not as mirror reflection as chrome but close).

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It depends on the patience level you can afford, for me it is nearly zero...so I painted it with rostoleum hammered finish, it looks great and it takes 30 minutes to strip the paint and 10 to paint it, That is good enough for me!! I will try to post a pick when the picture post site is back in service!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts