Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think I finished my seams (wife says I made a mess with all the sanding and thus I'm done). So I applied a lite coat of truck bed liner to under side. I think it's off to the painter (Gary Correia) this week to let him finish the rest of the body work.

Gary's web site Correia Customs

WP_20150307_17_29_55_Pro.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in Blaine and I used Jeff Miller in Temecula; after doing all the research for my bodywork/paint job, I decided it was actually cheaper to send the car to California. Local painters gave a price between $8 & 10K with no firm fixed price. All in (shipping, body work and paint) I will be $8700 with daBat. I also knew that the job would be done right.

I used Jeff's preferred shipper - Mike Brown of Kimik Transport.

Will post pictures once I get the car back on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I dropped min off with Gary Correia early Friday AM. Very nice place and equipment. we will see in a few weeks what comes out but Gary has done a great job on Ferra's cars.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Car is primed now, polyester primmer, then urethane primmer and now on to the final sanding . Seems the seam work I did was acceptable and cut out aa bunch of time and work for Gary.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Paint is finished, will pick it up this week.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Paint is finished, will pick it up this week.

Very nice

I really should be calling Gary for an estimate on my car.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Very nice

I really should be calling Gary for an estimate on my car.
There are 2-3 coupes there that he has painted that you can look at and a bunch of other roadsters and even a 33. He will most likely do my 818 if we can agree upon a price.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Called Gary

Called Gary and then sent an email with a summary of what I am looking for. Should have a quote in a little while. :yes:

My dream date is June for Paint.... we will see I guess

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
So picked up body on Friday, the quality of work and attention to detail was perfect, no flaws or issues. I would say the prep work was far better than Ken Pike and the paint was of equal quality. The post paint work was also perfect, the cut and buff was well done and all area were done with the same effort (lower areas were not done all the way with Ken). The cost was less then Ken Pike (and we got a heck of a deal with Ken).

I would go back to Gary in a heartbeat, my 818 may be going to him (as I took some panels down to him to look at so he could see what he is up against).

If anyone is looking to get paint, I would give Gary as call and at least wee what he could do for you.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,021 Posts
So picked up body on Friday, the quality of work and attention to detail was perfect, no flaws or issues. I would say the prep work was far better than Ken Pike and the paint was of equal quality. The post paint work was also perfect, the cut and buff was well done and all area were done with the same effort (lower areas were not done all the way with Ken). The cost was less then Ken Pike (and we got a heck of a deal with Ken).

I would go back to Gary in a heartbeat, my 818 may be going to him (as I took some panels down to him to look at so he could see what he is up against).

If anyone is looking to get paint, I would give Gary as call and at least wee what he could do for you.
Great update Tony! I need to swing by and see the new paint!!!

Gale

·
Piloti
427 Posts
Tony - Love it. Very clean.

Gale - That gallon of feather fill still has your name it. You'll need to drive a bit farther as we finally made the move. :yawn:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I trailered mine down to StreetRodPainter around the same time as Howard.
I was, and still am, very happy with the paint job. However his customer service and follow up was on the poor side.

If I were to do it today, I would go the extra miles to Miller, or look into Tony's painter.

You put in tons of time and work and only get one shot at paint. Don't let a few extra miles or $$ be the deciding factor.

Arch

·
Registered
142 Posts
mine too

I just dropped my Mk4 down with Gary to hang out with him for the holidays!

I will keep everyone posted on the progress as well as my satisfaction level.

So far I am in agreement with Tony.

-Happy Holidays

Jeff

·
Registered
142 Posts
painter

latest update.
body work has begun, Gary has just started to fit the doors.

I had ground the seams as well as all the various cutouts and a few other 'tweaks' . Gary's job is to make it pretty.

He received the car late last Friday (12/11)

FYI, Gary's shop is immaculate, not that 'clutter' is always bad, however at his place it is non-existent. feel free to PM me with any questions

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Awesome progress Jeff.

Let's get that car painted and returned so I can get in there!!

21 - 40 of 75 Posts