Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time to start looking for a painter. I am not looking for show car quality but I want it very nice obviously.

My plan is to do little to no body fitting and let the professional do it so I am leaning towards finding a shop with FFR and hopefully coupe experience. I am not against taking the car to SoCal if I have to but at this point I am looking for my options.

I also plan on at least one small body mod before paint. Please contact me on PM or here with your painter experiences.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,087 Posts
I'm in a similar place. I need to fit a few more panels and get it off to paint but there isn't much experience here in our state. I am considering Streetrod Painter since he is a mere 600 miles an change from here. I'm hoping I can be ready by fall since I want to drive it this year.

I'll be curious to hear if you find anything.

Darren

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howard used Street Rod painter back in 09. A mere 600 miles is right. I'll will let you know. I fear I'll be towing to CA northern CA would be better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There's a guy in Eugene, OR... works for for Farra Snook. If I recall right, he said he'd done 70+. I guess Farra used to build them as part of a business.

SoFast Racing
Farra/Gary
541-928-5858 (Farra - Owner)/ 541-760-4518 (Gary - Painter)

I also have notes for a guy who did the work on the Mach 40 Mustang:

David (Eckert's Rod and Custom)
Eckert's Rod & Custom : Home Page
(503) 263.2893

-P

·
Premium Member
11,087 Posts
Howard used Street Rod painter back in 09. A mere 600 miles is right. I'll will let you know. I fear I'll be towing to CA northern CA would be better.
Yep, Howard's paint is very nice. I wanted to use Da Bat but he is too far away and Streetrod Painter is damn good as well and I have seen his work now so I'm confident in his ability. I'm certainly open to others if they are closer so am very interested in this thread.

Oh, BTW... I have the IRS with 3.27 and a torsen rear and a TKO600. Love it, I think you'll be happy with that combination. I assume you'll be making ~400hp or more... it is a great sweet spot.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
There is little or no follow-up from Ken, you take it out of the shop and that is the last you may ever hear from him.

For fiberglass here in the Seattle area there are a few shops, I had some repairs done at R&G in Woodinville (no paint). I have a new body being sent from FFR this week since my MkII body is defective and will be looking for a local shop, unless the price is really really cheap I would not go back to Ken.

·
Piloti
427 Posts
Ricky Johnson at Show Case Collision in Kirkland did my first car. It was flawless and the price was reasonable. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SoFast

I emailed SoFast. I'll let you know what comes of it.

·
Premium Member
11,087 Posts
Ricky Johnson at Show Case Collision in Kirkland did my first car. It was flawless and the price was reasonable. Highly recommended.
I wonder if the price remains reasonable after doing one :) I'll have to give them a call when I'm ready...would be great to do it local.

Is this the place? http://www.showcasecollision.com/

·
Registered
466 Posts
Try Bud Wenick from Silverstar Streetrods in Washougal Washington. He has done mine and many other shell Valley's. He has done a GTM and older lotus for a few with Cascade Cobras Club. He has painted many many different hotrods. His number is 360-837-1250 Alot closer than California. Great small shop and will take great care of you. Let him know I sent you his way. By the way he is sorta old school with no email or website. His work comes mostly by referrals and many return customers.

·
Piloti
427 Posts
Darren, that's it. Funny thing was back in the day FFR use to offer paint services. The first local car I looked at was painted by a shop in Mass and not done properly. Ricky took the car in stripped it completely and redid it. He swore he'd never do one again. Fortunately when I took mine in he saw that the body work was done properly he agreed to do it. When it was complete I was speechless as it came out so well. I gave him a few extra bucks. Just don't be in a hurry...

·
Premium Member
11,087 Posts
Darren, that's it. Funny thing was back in the day FFR use to offer paint services. The first local car I looked at was painted by a shop in Mass and not done properly. Ricky took the car in stripped it completely and redid it. He swore he'd never do one again. Fortunately when I took mine in he saw that the body work was done properly he agreed to do it. When it was complete I was speechless as it came out so well. I gave him a few extra bucks. Just don't be in a hurry...
This is good to hear. I intend to do the rolled edges myself but leave the rest of the body work to the painter. You think he'd be interested or would he want to do everything or have me do everything except paint?

·
Premium Member
11,087 Posts
He'll work it either way. Just let him know what materials you are using.
Cool, I'd love to see the work he did on your car sometime.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, I'd love to see the work he did on your car sometime.
I second that one. I would really love to do it local. Since I know nothing about bodywork it is one of those things where I really need to be confident the guy doing the work really understands these cars and wants to do the job right. I also could not stomach waiting for the car for too long. (>3 months for example)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I'm doing the prep on the new Challenge Car body now, I have been in touch with Gary to do the paint, hope to take it down to him in a couple of weeks

·
Premium Member
11,087 Posts
I'm doing the prep on the new Challenge Car body now, I have been in touch with Gary to do the paint, hope to take it down to him in a couple of weeks
Would love to check it out once it is back.

·
5,470 Posts
Ricky at showcase painted mine. He won't do another one for the same price he did my at but he did good work. And did it probably in about six weeks. I do believe somebody else got a quote from him about five years ago and it was in the $8000-$9000 range. He just painted a Volkswagen bug for a buddy of mine and charged him $1500 to shoot the car and doublecheck the bodywork.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts