Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Body's going out to paint soon.Carpet is going in.
What is the best thing to get those gaps in and around the foot boxes filled and forgotten ?
Thanks,
Sten

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I found some epoxy "putty" at a marine store that was perfect for a number of holes. You just cut a length of it, knead it in your hands and putty-up the holes. It's gray, like aluminum and cures rock-hard. They say it can even be drilled and tapped. Also, spray can expanding insulation foam can be useful. I had some special dark gray stuff left over from a water feature project that could be sprayed in and then trimmed off with a knife to a neat surface. Some of my holes I ended up cutting aluminum pieces and epoxying or riveting them down. Small holes respond well to silicone rubber from a tube. Last but not least, the Second Skin insulation with it's gooey butyl backing/adhesive pretty much sealed up everything else. In fact, I think she'd probably hold water now. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I used a silver/gray silicon adhesive for the larger gaps between panels, and once it was dry, I covered every seam in the cockpit with aluminum HVAC tape. Then heat insulation, then carpet. Solid as a rock.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
816 Posts
Where did you get the aluminum HVAC tape?

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Bruce,
I have some of the aluminum HVAC tape. I think it would stick to a pool of oil....great stuff. It's actually thin aluminum with a pressure sensitive adhesive. I got mine at the local Home Depot. Most plumbing supply houses should carry it also.

c

·
65 FANGS
522 Posts
try lowe's for the aluminum tape. there are 2 kinds - on that is listed (has writing on it) for using on duct board, metal duct work, etc. about 2 1/2" wide, about 15.00 a roll. then there is a unlisted kind (no writing), about 1 1/2" wide, about 8.00 a roll. good stuff, will stick to about anything!
bob

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Yep, got it at Lowes. Oddly enough, they didn't keep it in the HVAC aisles, but rather over by the paint with all the other tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.