Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Advisor
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says. When searching, there are tons of old posts, but none of the pictures are up (photobucket doesn't link, file missing, etc...).

I have the carbon fiber dash with the autometer gauges. I only get one shot at this and wanted to see what others have done in general with their dash layout. I picked up the Ron Francis wiring and I'd like to add USB chargers, and some stereo equipment.

Is there anything you wished you added/moved?

Please show off!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I kept it simple and classic. I don't prefer an over-crowded look. The center amber indicator light above the steering wheel is wired into an rpm switch and serves as a shift light. I made the center console from sheet aluminum.

Reactions: David_T

·
Registered
494 Posts
silver_pilate: What are the 5 switches in the console?
David, from left to right: hi beams, emergency flashers, fan override, driver footbox blower, passenger footbox blower. The switch panel is from New Vintage. Below is a cig lighter and USB power port.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

10 years later and I still do not know why Factory Five will not offer a competition dash layout for 427 S/C modeled roadster. I made my own and I have a CAD file if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
New dash in process. Not greatly different than the original just some relocation of switches etc based on personal likes. Wanted to stay with a relativity classic English looking panel.

Original effort from March 2015.

New gauges Speed Hut Custom classic. All the white printing turns a modern BMW style blue when dash lights are on & the needles turn red.

Same gauge layout but some switches etc relocated. All the plastic toggles were swapped out for all metal switches. Horn & turn signal moved from extreme left to just off the right side of the steering wheel. Turn toggle is a long handle center off spring loaded self returning to center switch.

Left to right upper Turn signal lower Horn, Ignition, High Beam, Main Lights, (lower - SH dimmer) Emergency Flasher, Heater Fan, Heater Temperature. Heat temperature is an electrically operated hot water bypass system.

Console has been simplified. The pioneer head unit remains. The foot-box blast gate pulls have been removed. Outlets are now just opened in summer & covered in winter. Boost fan for the vents are controlled by the toggles & the warning light indicates they are running. The transmission cover has a set of twin dual outlet USB ports. One pair is Type C 3.1 quick charge.

Last change was moving the bail-out extinguisher to the rear bulkhead from the transmission cover. The satellite antenna is a current version replacing the one from 2014.

Starting to work on the clutch replacement if the final parts show up tomorrow. Once its in & the transmission is back in place will close up the tunnel & reset the console.

·
Charter Member
1,010 Posts
Mine is simple. Added the switch labels this year because everyone wanted to know what the switches are for.

·
First Time Builder
316 Posts
Kept mine straightforward but used almost none of the F5 switches. Coyote trouble light. Bought themed push toggle switches from Amazon for High Beam and Hazard. Added Oil temp gauge and Fuel pressure gauge. Have Cig Outlet under dash, along with 3 under-dash disc lights, linked to a trunk strip light. Russ Thompson Turn Signal and heated seat switches. I wish Speedhut would figure out what they are doing with dimming the LED backlight for the gauges, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
First Time Builder
316 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wanted to keep mine fairly simple.
On- off- on momentary switch for turn signals to the left of steering column to mimic location of my daily driver. From L to R in the center portion, hi/ low beam switch, horn, ignition, fan over ride switch, and heater. Moved the kill switch(interrupts the inertia switch ground when switched off which shuts off fuel pump via relay) to the center section under dash next to battery cut off switch. Have hazard switch and USB charging ports under the dash as well as calibration button for the vintage GPS gauges.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mark IV dash as supplied with the kit. Added a fuel pressure gauge (Gen1 Coyote) and oil temp. In hindsight it is too many gauges for the eyes to deal with. Probably should have ditched the oil temp and clock. The clock is useless at night because the hands aren't illuminated.... To meet Australian design rules, I had to fit the following:
  • 2x indicator lamps for turn signals.
  • Brake fluid warning lamp.
  • Parking brake lamp.
  • MIL indicator lamp .
  • Seat belt warning lamp.
  • Twist switches or rockers only, no toggle switches allowed.
  • self cancelling indicators.
Below dash is:
  • Heater control (Factory five)
  • ECU isolator
  • Main isolator
  • Remote brake bias adjuster (Wilwood)

Directly below odometer is small push buttons for odometer settings and clock set. These are hidden by the indicator stalk and steering wheel, so dont really detract from 60's look. large push button is for horn.

I attached (5 or 6?) right angle brackets to the backside of the dash as well as right angle brackets with 5mm nutserts to the dash hoop. This allowed me to hide the fastening screws. Worked perfectly. Easy to get to screws if you put them in the right positions. I used the supplied dash padding which has held up ok so far. Didnt fit a glove box because heater was in the way.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Competition layout that started life as a blank dash from Factory Five. Speedhut gauges, Russ Thompson turn signal, homemade glove box, leather covered, grab handle. LED indicators from Watsons Streetworks for high beam, turn signals, fan, and Coyote MIL. Switches are horn, fog lights (just visible on LH side of headlight switch), hazards, wiper, and seat heaters. Master disconnect under the center of the dash. Wanted it simple and clean and (sort of...) an original style layout. No stereo. Been there and done that. Separate subject, but not worth the time, effort, or $$ in my experience. There are other options if you can't live without tunes.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Nothing fancy. Comp style to allow for my own turn signal stalk and white face Classic Gauges from Whitby. Had planned to do aluminum inlay with rivets in the glove box door to match the steering wheel but, still haven't got around to it after 6 years on the road.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
337 Posts
carbon fiber, gauges angled towards driver. Will be modifying soon to make it more full width.

·
167 Posts
20180621_165955.jpg

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mine is carbon fiber with copper inlays that i acid etched. Just updated to backlit push buttons.......note the radioactive one. Get it RADIO ACTIVE, it turns on my bluetooth receiver.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,732 Posts
A mix of Autometer, Speedhut, 65 Mustang knobs and bezels, Lucas switches and the vintage knobs (just installed).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts