Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a MkII on 15" wheels with Cooper Cobra GT Radials's sized: P245x60 R15/P255x60 R15 Front/Rear with all at 34 lbs. I can't seem to find anything about optimal tire pressure on the Cooper site nor by searching the forum. Suggestions?

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Personally, I think that is way too high. These cars are so light, it doesn't take as much pressure as a heavier car to obtain proper tread pattern.

A lot has to do with how wide your rims are, also.

Aside from performance and handling, the object is to set them to a pressure that will result in even treadwear all the way across. Too high a pressure will wear them out in the center of the tread pattern, too little pressure will wear them out on the outside edges more and create too much heat as the sidewalls flex excessively during operation.

This can be a trial & error process. Sometimes you can get an idea by starting at a higher pressure and letting out a few pounds at a time and seeing how the tire lays down a pattern or picks up something like baby powder from the floor.

In the beginning they will only pick up the powder in the center of the tread pattern. As you let more air out of the tires and roll them across the baby powder, you will see that they pick up more powder toward the outside of the tread, until you get to the point where it reaches the outside edges.

Mine is a MKII, with BFG Radial TAs up front in 235/60R15 at 21 psi and the rears are 275/50R15 BFG Drag Radials at 17 psi.

I hope that helps you. Who knows, maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be!

Steve

[ June 15, 2007, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Porxter ]

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
On the street I run 26 cold with BFG TA/KD's. 34 cold is way too much for such a lite car. You will have much better traction with a lower pressure.

·
4,494 Posts
I have same setup up, except I am running Uniroyal Tiger Paws. I run (cold) 23 front, 25 rear. Any more pressure and the tires are too hard and won't grip, slide too easily.

Bill

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Is the rule of thumb something like a little over 1psi per hundred pounds of vehicle weight?

I might be making that up...I think I read it here in a prior post.

I think it also depends on tires. Drag radials are supposed to have a lower pressure than regular tires.

·
Charter Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll calibrate using the baby powder. It seems to makes sense to empirically lower the pressure to the point where the full width of the tread sits evenly on pavement. I'll post the results as it may help someone else using the Coopers.

·
Charter Member
1,249 Posts
Same sized tires and I run 26 all the way around.

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
Agree with everyone , I run 26 psi on all 4 BFG front 235/55/16 Rear 295/50/16 good stick to road and softer ride .

·
Certified Mad Scientist
2,150 Posts
porxter is exactly right. For street vehicles, you want to optimize treadwear, and that depends primarily on the weight of the vehicle. The way you drive the car can have an effect on treadwear patterns, too, but unless you're nuts (like me) and drive too fast all the time, it shouldn't be a problem. I always use a tread depth gauge and measure all the way across each tire to make sure I'm getting even wear. Whenever I get a new car, it usually takes me about half of the life of the tires before I get the pressures nailed down, but after that, it's a done deal.

As a side note, when I picked up my '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, it was all over the road, especially during high speed lane changes. Turns out the dealer lot boys put 44 psi in all the tires!!! 34/32 front/rear is the right pressure for it. It sticks pretty good for a 4800 pound beast!

Keep experimenting and adjusting, and you'll get it just right before too long.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
How about 315/40/17? Same Deal?
Dan

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Yucaipa,
I have 315/35/17's in the rear and use 26

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.