Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my Team-III AC 15" wheels from Richard at North Racecars - 10"wide rims in back, and 8" rims in front. I'm running a 3-link and Richard is modifying my PS shock mount so I can run 295x50's in the rear in 235x60's in the front.

So, now the hard part... I want the vintage look in a good all-round street tire. The car may be occasionally autocrossed, but 95% will be street use...

Help me out.... Which tires should I buy??? Any pics?

Sherrell

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,785 Posts
Unfortunately if you want a 15" street tire your options are extremely limited. You can run the BFG hockey pucks, Dunlops, or Yokohamas. None of them are very good as far as any real performance driving is concerned. You can use a Hoosier R304 but that is basically a road race slick with a couple of grooves cut into it. DOT legal but not practical.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gordon... what about Eagle GT II's???
Sherrell

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Sherrell,
I like to use the 225-60-15 (25.6") and 295-50-15 (26.6"). The 235-60-15 (26.1") is close in diameter.
Hoosier makes a 225-50-15 & 275-60-15 that perform very well on the track.
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Sherrell - I have the exact same wheels and went with the Firestones in the sizes you mentioned. They were easy to find, great price, best customer rating on Tire Rack, and have the vintage look I was after.

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
Sherrell,

Here are your wheels with the Dunlops in same sizes. (and my neighbor...) I don't have enough experience on the tires yet to rate them but I like they way they fit/look. HTH.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Just an FYI we modified the 3 link brackets on all three cars above. The 295s are super super tight and need to be fit exactly correct ot minimize any rub. FFR does not recommend them but it can be done. Thanks for the kind words. Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Wouldn't 17's be better for autocrossing?

If so, maybe just get a nice (a/k/a well priced) tire for the street and buy an inexpensive 17 inch wheel with better tires for autocross & track use.

You can probably find use 17 inch wheels all over the place for a low price if you keep looking around. Then you won't run your street tires in track sessions. If you look for the right profile tires, you may not throw off your speedo or have to worry about a different alignment setting for the car.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,712 Posts
Have you looked at Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR's ( think that's the name)? there have been several posts on these which seem positive. you just have to get around the weird sizing numbers so do a search and see what you think.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys for all the input.

Craig: I haven't really looked at the MT Sportsman SR's. I saw the weird numbers the other evening and didn't have a chance to run them to ground...

Dan: Yes, the 17's would be better for AutoX and would give me more tire choices. If I really get serious about Solo, I probably would go the route you suggest..

Any photos of the MT's or the Yokohama's???

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
You will need 2 sets of tires/wheels Nothing sticky enough for auto cross will last on the street . I have Nitto 555r's and get <5k miles per set. Of the pictuires shown none of the tires pictured have the proper speed rating for high performance driving, including the gt2 . That's the problem with the 15" stuff for normal under 100 mph any of those tires are great but start pushing it and the soft sidewalls and tread just give up , sorry for the bad news , I've been selling tires for 20+ years and this is the case. If you need further assistance feel free to pm me. Bob

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bob/All,

I understand the 15" issue.

1. I want the vintage look so 15"s are a must;
2. I don't plan on driving over 100 MPH on the street;
3. I believe autocrossing (at least initially) on my street tires will help me learn and understand the behavior of the car at its limits on the street;
4. If I do go to the track or get serious about Solo, I'll get appropriate wheels/tires....

Thanks, this dialog has really helped me clarify my thinking on the issue...

Sherrell

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,712 Posts
I've run my car for 1 1/2 yrs w/ Dunlops in autocross. I know it can be much faster and the winter upgrade to 17s w/ Sumitomos made that obvious. So DOT tires would be MUCH better.But, i just don't have the money for another set of wheels/tires and really don't feel like dealing w/ all the transport/changing tires twice, etc. so i may never find how fast the car could really be.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just want to DOUBLE CHECK...

On the FRONT: Mk-III, 93-Fox spindles, 5-Lug Lincoln rotors, OEM disc brakes...

Will the 235x60x15's fit without rubbing?

I saw on another posting that someone had the rotors machined to provide more clearance...???

Sherrell

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Richard Oben told me those would work just fine.

Anyone know if any of our vendors sell the Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR's?

·
2,746 Posts
Sherrell,

My rotors have been machined to provide clearance for the center of the front wheels. I believe that is the only issue.

Chris.

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris,
Forgive me, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Your comments suggests something HAS to be done to make the 8"x15" Team-IIIs fit with the 5-lug Lincoln rotors??? There's some interference issue?
Will I need to remove my rotors and have them machines as well? Any pics?
Sherrell

1 - 20 of 24 Posts