Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please Graduate MKIV #7693

Three days from now it will be exactly 3 years since the Stewart truck dropped off my MKIV. I am truly amazed at what I have created with the help of Factory Five, a litany of forum vendors, the advice / guidance / helpfulness of this forum, and my incredible understanding suportive wife and kids. Special thanks to the local FFR guru SJDave who is my local go to guy and has been incredibly generous in time and effort helping me along the way.

Being a Mustang guy for 25 years I was looking to build a car from scratch but was struggling with the time and expense of doing a pro-touring style 67 fastback. With 4 kids ranging from 6-16 both budget wise and time wise it simply was not going to happen. Then one day my friend gave me a ride in his continuation Shelby CSX and it all fell into place from there. I was hooked on the Cobra concept in about 30 seconds. I still wanted to build it from scratch so I started researching replica makes, going to local events, and talking to local people and the FFR idea was born. Just as a side note, keep in mind 90% of this car was build between 8pm and 3am - job, family, kids schedules, volunteering, and taking care of 3 acres takes precendent for daylight hours around here. People ask where I found the time to build the car. My answer was that I didn't have the time, I made the time. My oldest son who is now 16 spent many a Friday / Saturday night with me in the garage which also makes the experience memorable for both of us.

My overall goal was a simple, clean, somewhat traditional understated look from the outside, and all modern everywhere else.

Here are the basics of my build:

Kit:
  • MKIV base kit w/ standard width IRS

Drivetrain:
  • Coyote 5.0L tuned by JMS
  • 4:1:4 stainless headers by Stainless Headers in South Dakota
  • FFR stainless side pipes
  • KRC power steering setup for the Coyote
  • Billet steel flywheel / Centerforce dual friction clutch / QuickTime bellhousing
  • Forte hydraulic clutch setup
  • Tremec TKO600
  • Custom driveshaft by Denny's
  • Aluminum IRS case with Eaton Trutrac and Ford Racing 3.55 gears

Wheels / Brakes:
  • FFR standard width front lower control arms and spindles
  • FFR standard width IRS
  • FFR 17x9 and 17x10.5 Halibrand style wheels
  • Kuhmo 255/40 and 315/35 Ecsta XS tires
  • Wilwood 12.88 front and 12.2 rear brakes from FFR
  • Wilwood pedal box with remote bias adjuster

Interior/Exterior:
  • FFR leather low back seats with seat heaters
  • FFR classic style gauges from Speedhut with SC layout
  • Glovebox
  • FFR heater
  • Removeable tunnel cover with e-brake relocated
  • Lots of chrome and polished stainless
  • Hood louvers
  • Paint by DaBat - Jeff Miller in Lamborghini titanium and silver stripes

Thank you to Dave Smith and FFR for producing such a great product. It was a pleasure building it - now it is time to drive it. Its first day out was to Mike Hennesy's annual New Years Eve Day BBQ in Santa Clara, California. It gained a lot of attention and will be featured in an upcoming episode of his 'Car Guy Channel' (Home Page) - keep an eye out!

IMG_0443.jpg IMG_0442.jpg IMG_0413.jpg IMG_0418.jpg IMG_0429.jpg

Oh, and can't forget the selfie that my oldest son took with the GoPro he got for Christmas!

http://youtu.be/4Rc8uzQpoTA

Kevin

·
8,353 Posts
Truly beautiful!!! Perhaps missed the "understated" look with those killer louvers, though:yes::). Congratulations. Hope to be right behind you in a few months.

Cheers, Dale

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Coyote looks amazing in there!!!
For the one day I have had it out in public, the three standard replies to opening the hood are:

1) Oh (in a very good way)
2) Wow
3) How did you fit that in there?

Kevin

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Stunning

Love the color combination and everything else about the build.

You nailed it. Now go drive the hell out of it. :eclipsee_steering:

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Truly beautiful!!! Perhaps missed the "understated" look with those killer louvers, though:yes::). Congratulations. Hope to be right behind you in a few months.

Cheers, Dale
Yes Dale, thank you for the louvers. Glad you didn't powder coat them and sold them to me instead! The polished stainless go with my theme perfectly...

IMG_0438.jpg

Understated to me was the paint choice and not having a lot of contrast between the base color and stripes. They are not ghosted and you can see them from a distance but they blend with the car and do not distract the eye from noticing all the curves and shape of the car.

Kevin

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That Coyote looks amazing in there!!!
I hid everything you don't have to see as much as I could. There are several things that are powder coated gloss black up under the body which makes them disappear by matching the frame powder coating. Worked out nice as there is very little clutter under the hood. Its clean and simple looking.

Kevin

·
8,353 Posts
So clean and uncluttered under the hood; don't know how you did it.

Forgot that you ended-up with the louvers; they work well. I was referring to the louvers in the hood re the "understated" comment.

·
Junior Charter Member
594 Posts
Beautiful! Well done! Congrats!

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is one awesome engine compartment. Congrats on the completion

·
Registered
161 Posts
Congrats! The car turned out great. I look forward to seeing it closer at the next get together.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well done Kevin on completing your build, and a true masterpiece at that. It looks like all the hard work, blood, sweat and tears has finally paid off. Hopefully I will be there at the finish line within a few months also! It must be quite a surreal experience driving it initially?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That is one super clean build... Congratulations... JJ

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Very nicely done. Congratulations and have fun putting some miles on her.

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I almost forgot... Here is video my oldest son took with the GoPro and selfie pole he got for Christmas!

Yes, I am showing restraint. It had 15 miles on it that day...

http://youtu.be/4Rc8uzQpoTA

Kevin

1 - 20 of 54 Posts