Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pleased to present FFR # 5819 for graduation.

I bought the Mk III kit in November of 2006, taking advantage of the winter sale that FFR had at the time. The sale put me a little ahead of schedule (the only time that happened in the build) so after picking up the kit, I still had to tear-down the donor and refurbish/replace all of the needed parts. The chassis build-up began on February 10, 2007. First start was on November 13, 2007 and the first go-cart was November 17, 2007 (on the one year anniversary of picking up the kit). I decided to do all of my own body-work. The body work began in March of 2008. I documented that part of the build here: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183106
The body-work was a lot of work and, as others have said, there are no short-cuts. I enjoyed the body-work immensely but it did add a lot of time to the build. I decided to have a professional shoot the base, clear and do the cut & buff. The color is 2009 Volkswagen Blue Graphite Metallic. The car was finished and road legal on May 12, 2010. Since then I have put about 1500 miles on the car.

Specs: 302 EFI, GT-40 Intake, 65mm throttle-body, T5 Transmission, King Cobra clutch, 3:08 gears, Mustang GT disc brakes, Yukon 5-lug axles, 4x4 headers, under-drive pulleys, 3G Alternator, 3-link rear suspension, 18:1 steering rack, 15" FFR Halibrand Replica wheels with Good-Year Eagle GT II’s (235 front, 295 rear), rebuilt Bilstein coil-overs, windshield wipers, FFR heater behind the dash with custom fiberglass plenum between the heater core and fan, heated seats, FFMetal Grand-Slam Special (extended footboxes, extended firewall, trunk battery box). Mike’s under-dash panel, I have Polk 6" speakers mounted to the rear bulk-head and will power them with an amplifier and iPod (winter project), custom flip-down switch panel under the dash (for seat heater and heater switches), insulated cockpit, AutoMeter Vintage Gauges, drive-shaft safety loop, Russ Thompson’s gas pedal assembly with custom pedal, and custom dead-pedal “bump-out”.

I have never tackled a car project before so this was a great learning experience. Every once in a while I still say to myself in disbelief, “I built a car!” I had a lot of help and made a lot of friends along the way. My father assisted with the donor tear down and with countless other steps along the way. Mark Ames made the 3 hour round-trip to help me out a few times during the build and was my 24 hour tech support line. Sean L. spent several hours helping me diagnose a wiring harness issue. SRP, NCPainter and many forum members guided me through the body-work phase by following my thread and answering numerous questions, I couldn’t have done it without all of the help and this forum. Having a computer in the shop for constant access to this site saved A LOT of trips into the house.... THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!

There are a few things left to tinker with (ride height needs adjusting, iPod/amp needs to be installed, windshield wipers need to be attached to the motor, etc.) but once I became road legal I decided those things can wait until the winter.

-Jon A.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Team FFR Mechanic
1,732 Posts
Great Job! It really looks good. I admire anyone that wants to tackle their own bodywork.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Congrats!! I love the color.

·
Senior Charter Member
645 Posts
Nicely done. Looks like some nice areas to go cruising too.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
21,928 Posts
Congrats on a job well done. Beautiful car! Doing your own body work adds another level of accomplishment to the experience.

Greg

·
12,591 Posts
Great Job. Nice car... NOW GO OUT AND DRIVE IT.. that's when the fun REALY begins.

CobraEarl

Note to self.. Get yours back out and drive it.....:) :) mines sort of stuck on 40,000 miles. :) :)

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your body works it top notch...great color...very clean looking. Pic # 8 needs to be submitted for POM. Congrats enjoy the fall "Cobra Fun's".

·
Junior Charter Member
1,361 Posts
VERY nicely done. Very tasteful, classic, and bad-azz. That color selection was genius, and it really works for this car.

Enjoy the heck out of it!

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Congratulations Jon, I know you have had a great summer with the car.

I love that the car has a simple look to it and the color definatly is perfect.

I met Jon about 5 years ago when he had just bought the donor. He bought up some wheels and tires from me for his donor.

Since then we had many, many conversations. I had encouraged him to spend his money on the build and now he is reciprocating by spending mine! The car is spectacular Jon and I now regard you as a great friend.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Congrats

I can attest the car looks great in person!..perhaps having Mark Ames as 24 hr tech support was the main result as to why it took 4 years to build!

·
Premium Member
5,791 Posts
Very nice Jon!

Your bodywork looks exceptional from what I can see. The color is a good one and the small details like the hidden trunk hinges and the painted louvers really add to the overall appearance of the car.

Enjoy driving it.

Sean

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,171 Posts
Great Job Jon! Congrats and enjoy it to the fullest! :beer:

Mark

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Jon, congratulations man, the car looks great, love the color.

-Scott

1 - 20 of 38 Posts