Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, today was the day. I took it for it first official licensed, insured completed drive. I put over a hundred miles on the car today. What a blast. No problems except a loose visor mount.

Many thanks to lots of people on the forum. Those that replied to my posts and those that never knew i searched them out. Thanks to mike forte for a sweet drive train that is running perfect. Thanks to breeze, cobra earl, Russ Thompson, and richard oben for parts and great advice.

My only regret is not using Russ Thompson's blinkers......I bet I left them on ten times today.

Now, what am I going to do with all my free time? Bigger motor? I did get used to the power....

Ernest

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
310 Posts
Ernest, SWEET!
Well done, really like the color.
Congratulations Brother!

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
Congrats, looks great. Love the 15" wheels/billboards. How about a few more details?

·
Charter Member
2,565 Posts
Oh, my! That is one gorgeous car. Love the Goodyear billboard tires and the color combo is great.

Garry

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Congrats

Great build! I love the stance. Congrats Scott

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Looks great - maybe pull the 351 and stroke it to 408 - My 408 keeps my full attention at WOT.

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Beautiful car!!!!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the nice comments. I know it doesn't hold a candle to some of the builds I have seen here, but I am very pleased with the outcome. The car really handles better than I expected. The tires hook up well, especially with the alignment to spec.

·
Registered
441 Posts
WOW Ernest, ABSOLUTLEY BEAUTIFUL!! are your wheels the ffr 15" halibrand wheels? whats the rear wheel specs? you have inspired me to make my mk4 look as good as yours!!! CONGRATS

·
Junior Charter Member
594 Posts
Great looking build. Great color!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Congrats!!! Looks fantastic!!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW Ernest, ABSOLUTLEY BEAUTIFUL!! are your wheels the ffr 15" halibrand wheels? whats the rear wheel specs? you have inspired me to make my mk4 look as good as yours!!! CONGRATS
Luey,
Thanks for the compliments. The wheels are 10" wide wheels from North Racer cars. You will be hard pressed to find a better person than richard. Besides ffr, richard and mike forte were the two lucky ones that got to put up with my first phone calls about building the car. They really sealed the deal. I think richards wheels are a bit wider than the ones ffr sells, if I recall correctly. The tires came from roger kraus racing.

I read a lot about the billboards and I know they will dry rot easily, are bias ply, and aren't street legal.......but damn they look good!

My rear suspension is IRS . Initially, I had problems with the rear tires rubbing, until richard told me how to set up the control arms to give the maximum clearance. Having an adjustable control arm really would have been nice, and in retrospect probably worth the money.

HTH

Ernest

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ernest, thanks for the info. where can I see more pics of the car? !! -Andy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Great looking car Ernest. Based on your time table, it was quite a fast build. Sounds like you know what you're doing. Not sure where you are in SC but I am just over the border in NC. Mine was delivered a couple weeks ago and I'm in the middle of the build now. If you ever want to stop by and "check" my progress, shoot me a note. Got it sitting on it's own wheels and ready to start running the brake/fuel lines etc...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Myp51,
Thanks, I was a bit "focused" on the build. I think my wife is glad to see it done. Little does she realize it will never be really be done :) . I am in greenwood. Not sure how far, but anything I can do to help, please let me know. I tried a couple of different tubing benders , and ended up using my hands and sockets for a lot of them. I hand some semi rigid safety wire that I mocked up the lines, then bent them off the car. The search on this forum saved me many a time......and cost$$ me too!

I was going to post some more photos, but it is raining today.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Sweeeet!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts