Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally done after almost 4 years. Last Thursday it was almost 80 degrees out so I took the afternoon off to drive it legally for the first time and probably the last time until spring. It was a blast finally getting out on the open road instead of just go carting it. I got so many kind complements from so many people it was amazing. A lot of people around here knew I was building the Cobra but not many had seen it until that day. I had a couple mini car shows at different places and it was fun to say the least.
Sorry the back ground is not very interesting like a lot of other graduates' show but where I live there are not too many historic places one can go to take pics of their car so I figured my drive way was the best for now. I will try to post a couple more pics later.

Here's a few stats:

Ordered Complete Kit 11/08
Delivered Dec 5 2008 (my birthday)
Go Carted last Spring and started body work
Finished the body work in September this year
Painted in my garage 9-17-12
Assembled first week in October
Engine: 1967 289 HiPo 300HP
Trans: 5 Speed Tremec
Rear End: 3-link w/3:55
Tires: Nitto 555s on 17" wheels from FF Complete Kit
Many parts from Finish Line (thank you)
Fender wells
Storage Boxes from Darkwater
Herbs Door panels
Gas&Performance SS Side Pipes (beautiful and love the sound!)
Electric Power Steering (I love this!)

I probably forgot some details but I do want to thank all those on the forum that gave me ideas and the desire to get this car on the road. It has been a long but very gratifying journey and I hope I can enjoy many miles of driving my 50 year dream car.

I will gladly answer any questions and accept all comments good or bad.

Thank you,

Jim in Pa:):):):):)

Attachments

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,087 Posts
Congrats...she looks great. Any pics of your elect. power steering?
Charles

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charles
Here's a pic of the engine but it only show the reservoir for Freddys Power steering. I'll get a couple pics tonite of the set up. It was very easy to install and it is one of the best if not "the" best mods I did. Thanks for the kind complement.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great job Jim, brave man tackling paint, it looks great. Love the tombstone tail lights. Had to put my sun glasses on to look at the engine more closely, wow.

I am only 10 cars younger than you, guess we were on the same timeline.

Enjoy, Wade

·
FFR Craftsman
684 Posts
Looks great Jim. Nice job on the body and paint. Congrats!
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Very nice. Love your attention to detail espically in the engine compartment. Any more pics of the engine? Congrtas!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Charles
Charles,

Here's the best pics I could get last nite. I basically tucked it up in the bottom of the x-member. The angle of the return line off the pump makes it difficult to get the large braided line above the bottom of the crossmember but I was able to get it where I wanted. I believe Freddy has corrected this problem with his newer application. The reservoir is a nice unit also. The hp hose was a bit of a pain to tighten going into the rack but patience persevered!
I love the way it steers as I have a lot of caster in the steering.

Thank you,

Jim:)

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice. Love your attention to detail espically in the engine compartment. Any more pics of the engine? Congrtas!
Lex,

Here's 3 pics from the build. I have since covered the heater motor with a box I made from aluminum and also polished. I like lots of bling under the hood. Yeah it's time consuming to keep it looking nice but I don't mind, I have acquired a lot of patience in my 65 years especially with this build. I did a 34 Ford street rod and a 48 Studebaker truck before this and those also had bling under the hood. Well, the Stude really never had a hood on it, I couldn't bear to cover that one up.:fire:

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great job Jim, brave man tackling paint, it looks great. Love the tombstone tail lights. Had to put my sun glasses on to look at the engine more closely, wow.

I am only 10 cars younger than you, guess we were on the same timeline.

Enjoy, Wade

Wade,

Thanks for the kind words. The paint was by far the most difficult and time consuming part of the build, especially the stripes. Now I have to ask, "Tombstone Tail Lights", how'd you come up with that term?:001_rolleyes: Never head it before.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim, gorgeous car. Love the engine compartment. What did you do to your aluminum panels in there if you don't mind my asking? And do you have a pic with the heater cover?
The panels are just polished and waxed. I know I'll have to keep after them to keep the shine but I don't mind. I will try to get a couple of pics tonite of the heater cover. It's just some .040 alum. bent to the correct size and riveted together. I made a cardboard pattern first. It would be difficult to do after the body is on I think.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Jim,

The term "tombstone tail lights" is used mostly in the motorcycle industry. If you look at the Harleys and the Harley knockoffs a lot of them have what they call Tombstone tail lights. Your lights and those that are similar have always reminded me of those bikes.

Wade

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Jim,

The term "tombstone tail lights" is used mostly in the motorcycle industry. If you look at the Harleys and the Harley knockoffs a lot of them have what they call Tombstone tail lights. Your lights and those that are similar have always reminded me of those bikes.

Wade
Thanks Wade for explaining that. I'm not into bikes so I wasn't familiar with that term. I hate to say this on the forum but those are 41-48 Chevy repops:sneaky2: with LED lenses in them, very bright and not very expensive.

Jim

·
Registered
919 Posts
Congratulations, job well done! I like the orange and silver stripe nice color combination. I think that color combination goes well with all the bright work under the hood.

You can drive it with pride.

Jack

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congratulations, job well done! I like the orange and silver stripe nice color combination. I think that color combination goes well with all the bright work under the hood.

You can drive it with pride.

Jack
Thanks Jack,

The colors are actually "Arrest Me Red" and "Orion Silver" by HOC. The whole car is very bright in the sunlight in fact I may have to temporarily cover the area behind the windshield when driving in certain conditions. One of my reasons for choosing these colors is because the car has such a low profile I wanted it to stand out on the road.

Jim

·
Junior Charter Member
295 Posts
Jim,

Great job, the car looks great!

How did you execute the cover you over the radiator? I'm planning to re-do mine over the winter and am looking for different options. A couple of photos would be helpful.

Dan

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jim,

Great job, the car looks great!

How did you execute the cover you over the radiator? I'm planning to re-do mine over the winter and am looking for different options. A couple of photos would be helpful.

Dan
Dan,

Not sure what you are talking about, "cover over the radiator" sorry but I will take pics of what ever you want to see.

Jim

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.