Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE are ready to re-assemble our 88 T-Bird 9" rear end. The pinon gear looks pretty clean w/ "crisp/sharp" edges. How can I be sure that it really doesn't need replacing?? It spins smoothly but I'm not sure if they are generally prone to wear and if I should replace it as long as I've got the main ring gear assembly out or leave ir. Thanx Brian

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bama;That's what I'm saying -- I'm not sure what to look for. The gear looks good and clean w/ no scarring or rounded gears and spins smoothly. The "spiral" looks good and the edges look like they aren't rounded. I just don't know whether they have a propensity for going bad. Don't know how many miles were on the Turbo Coupe, but don't want to put in a marginal pinon gear at this point. Brian

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
One thing that you want to check us the actual contact point on the ring gear. It should be fairly close to center.

If the gear is older, and you don't detect a contact point, the setup was probably pretty damn close to where it should be and the gears are probably fine. Your next problem, to ensure a good remaining useful life, is to use your new ring and pinion shims, along with the assembly specifications and procedure, to set it up its pre-teardown condition.

·
Charter Member
118 Posts
Norcal - I just had 3.73 put in mine last week and the guy that put them in for me said that they are worn if they have sharp edges along the larger end of the pinon. I don't know if this is correct but when you set the old and the new side by side the new has a blunt flat edge along the top of the gear...

As for the 3.73 I highly rec. picking a set up. This is like driving a different car.

I hope that helps or with asking the ? will get the correct answer......Good Luck
Alabama Cobra

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.