Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning my move back to Ma. and was looking over the best way to drive. it looks like the most direct route for me is taking Rt70. i will be towing a 27' 5th wheel and dont want to go on steep narrow mountain passes. what is Rt70 like.

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
Are you talking I-70? I-80 is probably a better route if you are heading North anyway. I would probably bust up I-15 to I-80. I don't think the passes are as steap as on I-70. 70 gets pretty steap between Glenwood Springs and Denver somewhere. Is Ma Maine or Mass or some other state?

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I-70 isn't bad at all. It's an easy drive. But it does cross some high mountain passes, and so requires you to gear down in some spots. It's moderatly traveled by 18 wheelers, so not a big deal. No narrow mountain passes, good freeway all the way.

I-80 isn't a bad drive, either. But there are some steep climbs, and the cros winds can be a real bear this time of year. Heavily traveled by 18 wheelers. As you get further east, I-80 is a real bear. Seems like traffic is extremly heavy and lots of toll roads.

If it were me, I'd go 70 all the way to Columbus, then north to Cleveland and Erie, across the NY turnpike to the Mass Pike. I drive out to visit my Mother in western Mass every year, and that's the route I take. It's easy driving, with minimal traffic. Your other choice is to cut across PA, and that's a tough highway to tow a trailer on.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,314 Posts
I agree with boB, I-70 is a good drive. (i drive it to I-15 -to get to your neck of the woods all the time)

truckers use it all of the time, and like boB stated, there are some passes, but nothing that isnt down to one lane, or too twisty by any means. good distances between towns (read gas stations) and always kept open (for the rigs).

if you stop in Denver for a layover, dont hesitate to call. 303-902-1893-cell

good luck
pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts