Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of us FFR owners went to a local car show and met a man who says he owns a 1967 cobra that is on display in the San Man Motel in the Myrtle Beach area? I would love to see some pictures if someone is in that area. I also looked on the internet, but didn't come across any findings for a San Man Motel, but I'm not sure on the spelling or the exact location? Even if anyone has a internet link that would work also.
Thanks,
Todd & Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
1,486 Posts
Okay,we're at a car show on Saturday (Todd and me) and an older gentleman comes up to us and tells us that he has an original Cobra back on display in South Carolina at the "Sandman Motel" (or some name similar to that) near Myrtle Beach. Apparently his "Cobra" has a 429 "police interceptor" engine in in and is on a rotating display (turn table) at this motel/hotel. And it only has something like 26,000 original miles. And we're talking about a Shelby Cobra, not a Shelby Mustang.

Now, I'm kind of a skeptic/cynic and I'd like to know if anybody down south knows of such a beast. Especially since I've never heard of a Cobra with a 429 engine in it, since it's a different family than the 427/428 series.

So, anybody know this car. And I asked this guy about the CSX number but he had no clue of what I was talking about. ;)

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Chuck,
I checked the internet under "Sand Man" and still came up with no Sand Man Motel in Myrtle Beach.
Any other ideas?
Todd

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chuck did you come to Utah to pick up your Kirkham? Or did you have it shipped?
Just curious?
Todd

·
Charter Member
1,050 Posts
Todd,I had it shipped;about 1100 dollars.I have no other clues on the hotel but I suspect he does not have an original.It amazes me how many people think they have an original or shelby car.I met a guy at a local show this summer that has an extended wheelbase car with the funny doors.I was looking at it and it was a nice one with an old dirty 427 in it.He told me he bougfht it from a guy in Florida and it had been in storage for 10 years and he had already had 5 offers to buy it.The odd part was that he said he needed more for it since it was a shelby car.I mean this car had LTD inside door handles for gosh sakes.However I truly think he thinks it is a Shelby car;I did not have the heart to break it to him. chuck

·
Charter Member
1,050 Posts
BTY,it did have a Shelby enterprize VIN plate so it must be real. chuck

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He claimed to have purchesed the car new in 1967. It was an interesting story that Jim and I were just curious whether or not he was pulling our legs.
We have both searched the internet and can't find anything. He was supposed to call us to, but never has so I think it was just a old guy having some fun with us younger guys.
Todd

·
Registered
159 Posts
I called a guys bluff once at a car show. he had a 69 z28 with powersteering. I asked if it was a real z28, he said oh yea.I let him know that 69s didnt have powersteering,,,, dang he wanted to fight. well I walked off, knowing better. next time I will not say anything, I'll let them keep on dreaming

1 - 11 of 11 Posts