Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2FAST,

FFR3772 is gettin ready to be sent out for Paint and I'm just starting my GT40 research for my next project.

I see that you have chosen a RCR GT40 for your next project.

Care to share why you went with RCR?

Anyone else doing GT40 kit reseach please feel free to respond.

Thanks
Capt Al

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
For anyone in the USA who is going to build a GT40,,,,,,,, the RCR car is a slam dunk.

here are just a few of the positives:

#1 Fran's background, skill, and experience in automotive/racecar engineering is a big plus. He knows not only what to do,,,,but why to do it,,,and he has the math/computer analysis skills to go along with it.

#2 look at how much "cool factor" you get for the price. The car is competitively priced and much cleaner chassis construction than nearly everything else available anywhere.

#3 the alum tub, makes for a more roomy cockpit, which is usually very,very tight in a GT40.

#4 from what I have seen, Fran is able to have much higher fiberglass body parts made and keep his kit price reasonable as the chassis is less time consuming & less parts than a steel tubeframe (an assumption on my part here)

#5 CNC precision made parts, and high quality hubs & brake components

#6 RCR is in the USA which means no sending large amounts of money overseas and ridiculous freight and customs charges.

Also, it is easy to get in a car or a plane and go visit the facility.

#7 RCR is doing something NO OTHER GT40 REPLICA MANUFACTURER SEEMS TO BE CAPABLE OF AT THE MOMENT,,,,,,

RCR IS ACTUALLY DELIVERING KITS,,,,on a timely basis!!!!!!!

Just ask anyone waiting for their "____________" GT40 kit to come from Austrailia, South Africa, England, etc......
how long ago they sent their hard earned money for a kit,,,,and how long they have been waiting.

#8 RCR is located in the Detroit area which means access to the entire automotive manufacturing industry. Perfect location for manufacturing, machining,etc.

These are just a few items that would make the choice simple for me if I were ordering a kit today.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Alain summed it very well. Fran's car is awesome. It uses a true monocoque tub. It is roomy enough for a 6'3" person to fit without a Gurney bubble.

The only thing lacking with the kit is the lack of an assembly manual, but that shouldn't deter anyone. A manual will likely be available down the road sometime.

The kit comes very complete, but at the same time allows the customer to add their own touches. The parts needed to finish the car are easily available. I have a spreadsheet with all the necessary components needed to finish the car.

The ERA is an extremely nice car. They make a very original monocoque tub out of SSTL. But there is a 2 year leadtime for their car. Expect to shell out close to $100K to complete it. Thier resale value is very high though.

My RCR GT40 is taking a tad longer because of the wheels and I'm having Fran do the seats by a local upholsterer just like the originals with brass eyelets. But for future customers, the leadtime should be less since he has resolved the wheel issue.

The fiberglass is incredible. You can hardly see the parting lines. It's much thicker than the FFR bodies at about a 1/4" think. The bodies are very strong and will last years.

If you are truly thinking about an RCR GT40, pay him a visit. You are in NY, which is very close to Detroit. He loves to show off his setup and in the end you will be quite impressed. I was.

Cheers
2FAST

·
Charter Member
545 Posts
As soon as Bills 15" x 14" BRM rear wheels are ready his car will ship....hopefully New Year...

Yes he did purchase the "Deluxe kit"...

Hope this helps

·
Senior Charter Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,

I'd like to know what addition parts are needed to complete the RCR Deluxe Kit.

Could not find it on the RCR Website.

May have to start looking for Parts.

Thanks
Capt Al

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Al-

I have it at work. I'll email it to you tomorrow. OK?

·
Senior Charter Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great,

Thanks Bill.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,033 Posts
2FAST
Could you email me the list also. I have just started doing GT40 research. I'm only a couple of hours from RCR. The RCR car is a very nice looking kit it just might be out of my budget.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Jeff-
You can build a nice GT40 from Fran for around $60K. Mine is over the top at $80K, but that's me.

2FAST

·
Charter Member
545 Posts
Bill.
thanks for sharing your insight and info

I spoke at length with Jeff earlier today..he is coming by after Christmas....

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Hey Fran,
What about the seats?

Cheers,
2FAST

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,594 Posts
Bill,
I'd be interested in that list too. Can you just post it here? If not can you send me the email too? Are you going to be able to bring the GT to Knotts this year?
Paul

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Guys-

I would rather not post it. I will be happy to email it to you tomorrow.

Cheers
2FAST

·
Charter Member
545 Posts
Chuck....not yet...wanna be the first??? ;)

I have some advantages i that I do business in Canada and have customs etc etc well covered..being so close by in Detroit helps too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts