1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

Anyone else want to chime in on the best place to buy an electronic gadget to solve all my problems? :D

Cheers, John

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
If you are just wanting to bypass stuff like PATS, you can get a chip burned. Johnson Motorsports has a really good reputation in the Mustang crowd. I've bought a few parts from them (not a chip though) and they had good service.

Pete

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone know of a west coast distributor for Tweecer? Custom chips seem to run $300+, and the base Tweecer (I don't need datalogging from the step-up model) is only $380 at retail. I think I might be able to get a slightly better deal, so cost is close enough to the same. Tweecer gives me more future flexibility.

I just need to work with the builder (R3 California Customs) finishing up my car and a dealer to make sure the device will address the issues we've got. The biggest ones that come to mind right now are PATS, some O2 sensors, etc.

If anyone can give me a dealer name/number/site, I'd really appreciate it. The "head office" in Dallas has been completely non-responsive for a week or so now.

Cheers, John

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ttt...anyone?

·
6,546 Posts
The Tweecer will not "fix" all of your issues. It will allow you to adjust them away. Most chips, specifically the Diablosport ones can be used multiple times. That way if you take it back to the shop for a dyno tune after a huge engine change they can just re-tune the car.

The Tweecers are built in Houston, TX.

There's a laundry list of authorized dealers on their web page including Dallas Mustang that has a retail shop.

http://www.tweecer.com/resellers.htm

Again, it's not going to fix your problems by plugging it in.

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
Originally posted by Ozona:
Again, it's not going to fix your problems by plugging it in.
I agree it will take some "tweecing" but if he sets the PATS_DISABLE scalar in the tweecer to 1 and his starting problems are related to the PATS module it will probably take care of that problem.

Maybe you're making a different point and I'm being dense.

[ September 08, 2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Sean Teague ]

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without disabling PATS, it's hard to know if that's our only problem. But it has to be a starting point.

Ozona, one can imply that you know a lot about these tuning devices as well as the other problems I might have. I know it'll take some "work" with tuning, but what is it you are claiming cannot be solved? I'm truly curious. Sean is spot-on with testing the PATS problem by disabling it upfront. From there, it's "tweec" time.

How I looked that long at the Tweecer website and couldn't find the dealers...well, obviously I've been studying too much and my eyes are crossed. Thanks for the link -- I see one in CA that is probably a good place to start.

Cheers, John

·
6,546 Posts
Just to be clear: I am *not* an expert on EFI. Many here know way more than I do.

The Tweecer is not a plug & go solution, there is a significant (and for some insurmountable) learning curve. There are a lot of frustrated posts on the various forums with the product. Mostly due to the extreme tuneability it provides and lack of documentation, the later being a fairly public issue for you. ;)

My personal opinion is that you would be far better served taking it to a shop and having a chip burned for the car that takes care of your PATS issue and tunes it. That way it's a "take & forget" scenario, not a time intensive one.

Also, it looks (based on the Tweecer forums) as if the Tweecer RT doesn't really work right on the 96+ EECs or at least doesn't datalog right.

·
Junior Charter Member
53 Posts
John, I've seen new Tweekers on ebay. Not at at any kind of huge discount but still cheaper. They seem to pop up about every week or two. There was one there just two days ago but its gone now. I'm in the market for one also.

Jeff

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
Jeff, The RT model is for real time data logging and may be overkill. I also don't think it works all that well for some EEC-V processors as Ozona mentioned above. (Maybe they've got the bugs worked out now...)

John, Ozona makes a good point about the complexity. Have you downloaded and installed the CalEdit software yet? Download the latest (alpha) release and one of the sample bin files that is close to yours (just for inspection purposes!). Mine is the AOL3 for example. Take a look around and see if it makes sense to you. Some of the scalars are easy to decipher but others are greek without some research.

Provided your specific processor is supported, I don't think you'll have a problem getting the PATS disabled with it.

Did you call the guy I suggested about the chip? Just what is your processor catch code anyway?

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, that's some really helpful info -- thanks. Fortunately, I'm not stuck doing this myself. The builder helping me finish up my car (these engine troubles are the last dang thing!) has used the Tweecer before, though I believe on 5.0-based cars. The 4.6 is a different beast -- we've all learned that. (He's also looking at some carb options for that modular...how cool would that be? :D I'm still hoping to work out something with the factory EFI, hence this thread.)

Ozona is right -- technical documentation is a big sticking point for me. I used to write it for a living, and if I had produced what seems to be the norm in this industry, I would have starved to death. I lately try to keep my comments down a bit, but it truly is incomprehensible to me what MANY of these companies believe is acceptable. /* END RANT */

Sean -- I called your chip guy and e-mailed him, but never had a response to either. It's almost like I'm begging someone to take my money to help us solve this issue!

I'll be in touch with my builder. Ultimately, I'll let him drive the decision on whether to trailer the chassis to a chip burner or to use one of the aftermarket options like Tweecer. I appreciate the help in making an informed decision. I'm still hopeful to have this car on the road very soon -- fall is very long here in Houston! Stay tuned...no pun intended....

Cheers, John

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
John,
I just got off the phone with my chip guy. He just put a 01 Lightning motor in a 51 Ford coupe using Mustang harnesses. Interestingly, because all the PATS modules had been removed, his chips wouldn't fix it. He sent the processor itself away to be reworked for (I think he said) $250. Seems the PATS can be turned off but requires the modules and wiring to be in place. So if you've got a wiring issue the chip (and probably the tweecer) won't help you.

I told him to keep a lookout for your call if you want to talk to him about having the processor recoded. He just fired his office manager so things have been a little hectic.

·
15,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We believe we have all the PATS modules, but it's hard to be sure. I definitely have a key (not sure it's the right one), the transceiver ring from the steering column, etc. Some cars had a module for PATS in the driver door, but I think that was limited to SVT cars like Sergio's. Does anyone know what other "black boxes" might be involved on a 2000GT donor? We definitely have the main brain, the CCRM, the fuel pump driver module, and so on. There's a TON of harness in there right now. I think the other thread (linked above) has a readout of the code the car is throwing at the moment -- something about an incorrect or incomplete format key code -- sounds like PATS to me.

Cheers, John

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
Just spent a while on the phone confirming some stuff. I called Mike Glover who created the Tweecer. He says he's 99.99 percent certain that it will take PATS out of the loop even if the module is removed (or something is afoot in the wiring as your case may be). This is what I understood to be true when I bought it, I was a little worried for a while there

In case that doesn't work for me I looked for a backup plan. This may be the way you want to go as you won't have to worry about the 0.01%. I talked to Paul at Paul's High Performance. Send him your processor and tell him what components you're not going to use and he'll reprogram it for you for $450.

I called my "chip buddy" back and confirmed the $250 for the same service. His guy is an ex-Ford guy and does it on the side. Not sure which way would be better (Paul vs ex-Ford guy).

Finally, if you really want to make things simple call Superior Custom Classics (www.superiorcustomclassics.com). I talked to them about their service where they take your harness, wire in an Accel DFI system, and send it back to you. "All you add is power and fuel" as Rich told me. That convenience comes with a price though. $2600 big ones

It is kinda cool that it's Speed Density when it's done so you can just run an air cleaner on top of your TB like this:
http://www.superiorcustomclassics.com/frankie/4-6couger.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts