Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some more input from you re: brake setup:

What is and do I need a "safety distribution block" per your post to my initial inqury? Is that what I removed from the '93 donor when I removed the MC? If I use it, what impact, if any, will it have with the current 82 'stang MC rear braking effectiveness.

Thanks for your patience with my lack of knowledge regarding brake systems, but you seem to be very knowledgable in this area....

·
12,637 Posts
Originally posted by Wantdat:
Need some more input from you re: brake setup:

What is and do I need a "safety distribution block" per your post to my initial inqury? Is that what I removed from the '93 donor when I removed the MC? If I use it, what impact, if any, will it have with the current 82 'stang MC rear braking effectiveness.

Thanks for your patience with my lack of knowledge regarding brake systems, but you seem to be very knowledgable in this area....
I already said I was in over my head on this type of distribution block... I lost an arguement two years ago about how the late model distribution blocks work.. I dont know how they work,

but I think that the group was saying that if you have a blown out line/caliper, that the late model proportioning valve will allow you to still have brakes on THREE wheels. The previous method (dual reservoirs) would allow you to just have brakes on the front, if a rear caliper/line blows. Or Just back brakes if a front caliper/line blowes. THREE IS a LOT better than two.

I also dont know which year this type distribution block started.

RENAME your thread to something like SN95 distribution/proportioning valve questions... maybe a TRUE
brake expert will answer your questions..

BTW, Ive been in a old car (1956 Nash Rambler) with the old SINGLE M/C when a wheel cyl blew.. ABSOLUTELY NO brakes. My mom hit the brakes about 100 yards out at a T intersection. She actually turned right off a dirt road onto a two lane asphalt road at about 35 mph. THat danged old car did everything but turn over. BUt, she did rein it in.

earl

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comeback as I just now found your post. (Had a death in the family). Anyway I called Richard at northcars and he informedme I didn't need the distribution box, reason being the weight distribution variance between the 'stang 60/40 and the ffr at nearly 50/50. But he did recommend a adjustable proportiona valve to set as wide open. For the occassional time you get the rear brakes hot (grabby) and fear a lockup turn valve to restrict pressures. Thanks again.... Dick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts