Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a Mark 3 are the upper arms on the front different for a pin driv setup? A customer of mine is having trouble getting his wheels straight up and down due to running out of adjustment. They need to go much further in. Just wondering if FFR supplies a different set of upper amrs for this setup. Lowers are the correct offset for pin drive
Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
They only sent me the lowers when I went from standard to Pin drive.

[ September 23, 2007, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: 65' Cobra ]

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
The pin drive option uses a different spindle to upper ball joint adapter. It is somewhat narrower than the conventional width adapter. Notice the difference in the width between the ball joint hole and the spindle mounting holes. Also, the pin drive adapter has only two mounting holes compared to the conventional width that has four. The upper control arms are the same. Here's a photo of the pin drive adapter. John

This is the conventional adapter:

[ September 22, 2007, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: J Persons ]

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mike,

When I got my Mark 3 (December 2004) I received adjustable upper arms with black aluminum sleeves. There was no way to get the front wheels vertical let alone negative camber.

FFR engineering responded saying I got the wrong upper arms for pin drive. They sent out new arms with gold annodized steel adjustment sleeves. They are shorter than the black aluminum sleeves. These work perfectly.

J Persons is correct about the upper ball joint adapter.

Cheers,

Rick

·
Senior Charter Member
1,861 Posts
OK, now I'm confused.

I'm building an IRS - pin drive car....I got BOTH style spindle to upper ball joint adaptors in my kit and my upper front control arms have the black arms.

Help!

·
6,559 Posts
From what I've been reading, FFR switched to another upper CA. The old style will work but the new style needs modification. Do a search. I think you can get shorter sleeves.

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
I have an IRS pin drive car too...

I too had both style spindle to upper ball joint adaptors in my kit (instructions said use the two-hole adapter for pin drive) and my upper tubular front control arms have the black adjustable sleeves.

I had not heard anything about needing the gold arms for pin drive either. Todd, are you saying the black ones are incorrect?

JT

·
FFR Craftsman
702 Posts
My MKIII kit that I got late in June of 06 came with the gold upper arms, and the regular lower tube arms with the 4 hole upper ball joint adapters. When I ordered the kit, I didn't know that I needed 1" shorter lower A arms and the 2 hole upper ball joint. When I got the correct lower arms and the 2 hole ubj everything worked OK. So, I guess the gold upper arms work either way. I drove my car to a car show in Fresno today after finally putting everything together. All painted and done!!! Did everything myself.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,861 Posts
Does anyone know the actual length of the "one inch shorter lower arms" (referenced above) needed for pin drive width, so I can check mine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Pin-drive picture from the FFR catalog, 13":

Standard-width picture from the FFR catalog, 15":

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Originally posted by buildit:
Does anyone know the actual length of the "one inch shorter lower arms" (referenced above) needed for pin drive width, so I can check mine?

Thanks!
Actually, the arms for pin drive are 2" shorter than the conventional arms. The pin drives are 13" and the conventional are 15". Go to the FFR website, select mkIII parts, chassis and suspension parts, and scroll down to the A arms.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,861 Posts
Great help, guys....thanks a lot.

Ok, so I have the right lowers and should use the 2-hole spindle to ball joint connector. Now just gotta confirm that my black armed upper control arm is the right one!

Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I jest measured my upper comtrol arms. The gold sleeves are 3.75" long but I shortened the rear sleeves to 3.00" to get more caster in the car.

Cheers,

Rick

·
313 Posts
Not to confuse the issue, but FFR told me the difference in LCAs is 1.6". Looking at my sets (pin and std) that looks right. The spindle adapter is 1" different, requiring the remaining .6" to be made up with the UCA adjustment.
Nick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts