Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been running my trans (Tremec) without a pilot bearing, do I need one? what will happen if I dont? Spec racer has about 6K miles, raced a lot.

pic here:

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Premature wear of the input shaft seal would be one result I'd imagine. -Could cause leak.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi John,
I just checked your invoice dated 6-15-2004 and you should have gotten a pilot bearing with all of the parts. It was included on the clutch & flywheel bolts. I have plenty of them and can ship one to you if you can't find it.
Mike Forte

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
YOU NEED TO INSTALL THIS BEARING. When you push your clutch in this bearing centers the clutch disc and allows the pressure plate to spin free. Think about it, without this bearing all of these forces have to be generated by the bearing in the trans input shaft which is well behind the disc. Running it this way will destroy the input shaft as well as the bearing .
HTH CB

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
Don't run it without the pilot bearing. It allows the clutch to engage off center, placing a load on the crankshaft and trans when the crank rotates. I did this for 16,000 miles on a Pontiac 350 and actually broke the crank.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
There sure are some interesting issue on this site from time to time. Forgotten pilot bearing, that's a new one to me. Easy fix, though. Every auto parts store in this country should have a 5.0 pilot bearing on the shelf for under $20.00.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HEH! I was over Pats house helping him with Charlies car as we were mating the trans to the block Pat said that we must remember to put this pilot bearing in and that got me thinking about mine.. I didnt remember doing this, and just wanted to make sure.

Trans coming out again before the next race.. Thanks guys.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
JG:
Most pilot bearings come pre-lubed,so DON'T add additional grease which could foul up you clutch surface,unless specifically instructed by the manufacturer to do so.
HTH
Paul M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.