Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual, the Chiltons manual did not help..

Can someone tell me how to remove the pilot
bearing on the 90 5.0?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TNCobra,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
I'll try the grease trick first, and then the
3/8 bolt, small nails and a receiving socket..

Dan

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Toilet paper soaked in H2O, use a 4" 3/8 extension, pack the bearing with the paper, then line up the extension; hit it with a BFH. Might take a couple of turns/hits but they usually come right out. You can play with different socket sizes as well, the trick is to find a socket the fits the ID of the pilot bearing the closest.
Grease makes a mess, the H2O trick dries in a couple of hours.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
The tool from Auto Zone made this an easy task for me, even with the Pilot bearing being shattered.

·
Charter Member
3,487 Posts
I used wheel bearing grease maybe a little thicker. I was surprize that it worked but it did and very little mess other then the grease. It's important to find a socket of the right size to push on the grease. Took a couple of times and some additional grease but I didn't have to mare anything.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
When using the more extreme methods, be carefull that you don't damage the raised housing the pilot bearing sets in, because the flywheel is a snug fit on the outer surface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.