Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Pics - Right CV Joints?

360 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dbarrym 
#1 ·
I got these CV axles from Pep Boys out of stock. They were $70 ea plus $50 core charge. If you look closely the one on the top has a small dia axle in middle 1 3/32 but gets bigger 1 3/16 before it goes into boot. The one on the bottom is 1 3/16 the full length. The FFR shaft 1 1/4 is on the bottom for comparison. Will these shafts work? They are supposed to be replacement shafts for a Thunderbird SC

[ December 16, 2002, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: JimmyHunt ]

See less See more
#3 ·
John,
Thanks - I asked the wrong question. Will the CV joints work shown on these axles?

#5 ·
I'm currently going through the same exact problem. This is what I found out. The SC T-Bird had one small diameter axel and one larger diameter when measured between the boots. However the splined ends where the same as the FFR supplied axels. The bigger one in your picture is correct no matter what, the smaller diameter axel most likely has the same CV joint as the larger one. One sure fire way to tell is measure the diameter of the boot where it attaches to the CV joint. If both axels are the same diameter, then you have all the right parts. The diameter of the CV joint for the "wrong type" is much smaller visually. That was the problem with my used axels. I ordered the same as you did and they were the correct ones. Now all you have to do is disassemble those brand new axels! Cheers....

#6 ·
Measure the axle diameter under the boot, as long as it's 1.20" you are in fat city. FFR sends you new axles, but finding the CV joints is getting harder and harder, good job on the PEP boys find.

#7 ·
Assuming they are correct how do you replace the metal bands on the boots.

#8 ·
FFR supplies new bands with the boot kit. You need to borrow or buy a tool at your autoparts store to crimp the bands--it costs about $10 or less, and looks sort of like a small end-nipper. I'm sorry, I can'r remember the proper name of the tool.

Forrest

#9 ·
Could you replace the FFR-supplied bands with the screw-type hose clamps or would that throw the axle out of balance?

#10 ·
The screw-type clamps don't apply even pressure across the boot, and can cause an imbalance problem, allowing the boot to pull off at high speed.

NAPA sells a 'universal' band type clamp kit that is very inexpensive, about $10 for four clamps. I had to use these when I could not find replacements for the FFR supplied clamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.