Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The expandable foam strippig that comes in a roll with the kit got messed up so I go some more from McMasters-Carr and I've searched but can't see any pics of exactly where to put this. I'll be driving in gelcoat soon and was wondering should I even put this in now? I've read posts where several guys have used the expanding foam from HD around the foot boxes. I can use duct tape for now and the foam strips/spray foam later when I permently mount the body.
Any pics would be very helpful.

·
Junior Charter Member
474 Posts
I'll second this one TTT
Stan

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I actually put mine in after the body was on. With the elephant ears off I started at the bottom of the body/footbox just forward of the door opening and sfuffed it going up to the top of the footbox. On the driver side it will end up running forward along the 3/4" tube that the foot box attaches to. Passenger side will just run strait up. Sorry I didn't take any pics as this was a question I was looking for a answer to for three years... Once you look from the front side you'll see...

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
This is my temporary, driving in gelcoat solution. Got the idea here.
Get some of this stuff, foam pipe insulation and wedge it in. I've only lost a couple of the little pieces at the top of the footbox.Looks like I'm about to lose another one. Oh well,poke in a new one! Keeps the blast furnace in front of you at bay.
Over 6000 miles so far.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You will get a hot blast of air from behind the hinge along the doors
The expanded foam stuff is tough to get right where you need it and the first time you pull the body off it screws it up.
Do your self a favor and go to K-mart and buy a couple of "float sticks" for the pool their about 3" in Dia. and they work great! Be sure to install before fitting panels because they change the way the body sets.

Ernie

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
The expandable foam is a one time use deal. It's supposed to be install right before you sit the body on for the final mounting as it starts to expand once unwraped.
It gets taped along the outside front endge on each foot box so it takes up the space between body and foot box alum.
Like the idea of useing pipe insulation. Seems it would be easy to install once body is on and keep most air out of cockpit.
I used the foam tape on my final install along with the left over cut in small sections to fill some of the smaller gaps around drivers side foot box and behind rear cockpit alum.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HS, Thanks. I got pretty much the same thing from Mcmaster. I also got some 3/4" hi-density foam that should work on the 3/4" rails for the hood opening. I saw on a search where people use everything from swimming pool noodles (Ernie) to deflated bike innertubes (which they inflate behind the body) to expandable spray foam in bags. I would think the spray foam on final body mount would be a good idea if you were careful. I like the idea of a noodle or pipe foam for now. It's hot in Georgia now, hit 97º at my place the other day, don't need any extra heat.

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
Whats the part # from Mc Master Carr Thanks. Dan.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.