Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the MKII frame and need some guidance on the placement of the lower inside corner panels, the two center tranny covers and outer rear panels. Thankyou.
Bill

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
Bill - I have Emailed you some pics and messages I sent about the rear panel fit to other MKII owners. I am curious to hear if your trans tunnel top covers fit - mine didn't (were 1/8" too narrow), so I cut off the sides and made them removable- see http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003032

[ June 12, 2002, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Barry Mattingly ]

·
Charter Member
143 Posts
Barry
Don't suppose you could send them pictures my way could you?? I don't have my tranny cover yet. It is backordered. Only have 2 items left on backorder...steering wheel and that aluminum.
Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Barry. The kit is going together very well. One last question: Is it okay to install all the cockpit aluminum before the body? Thanks again-Bill

·
1,018 Posts
BIL1024,
Yes , all cockpit aluminum should be installed before the body is put on except the two pieces (one on each side) that go under the doors. If you trial fit the body then you can proceed to final install the two under the door panels. You can actually lay down the carpeting as well before the body goes on for good.

Doug

[ June 13, 2002, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: d isham ]

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
If there are lots of requests for pics, maybe you could consider posting them or emailing to Bill so he can post them in the FAQ.

Happy motoring

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
Tim, Bwana -

They are on the way.

barry

·
Super Moderator
29,443 Posts
Barry-

I have the MkII frame and my trans tunnel aluminum is too narrow. It bows when trying to get it to cover the tunnel. Looks like they made the bends without the driver/passenger floors installed.

-Keith

·
FFCobra Fanatic
547 Posts
Could you send me pics of the aluminum behind the trans tunnel too.
I am at that stage right now on the MKII

Thanks a bunch.

[email protected]

Larry

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
Keith -

Every MKII owner I've spoken to has had the same problem, apparently the MKII tunnel frame is about 1/16" or so too wide and FFR hasn't allowed for this increase in the tunnel covers.

Most people just cut the side tabs off and rivet them on from the top.

The upper right side tube of my tunnel is also warped about 1/8" down in the middle.

[ June 13, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Barry Mattingly ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Barry-
I test fit the tunnel cover tonight and it is really tight, I may do a little trimming and try and tuck it in instead of out and over the floor tunnel walls, I'll post a pic after I am done.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
looks great!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Go figure this topic would come up today...
I've been fighting/installing my rear cockpit alum all night. Got the Pass side finished... tomorrow the drivers.
My car is one of the red-haired step-child Mark 1.5s with the alum of the MarkII but I had to make my own backbone.
Most of my troubles so far are that I nipped and tucked the rear for 315s, aformentioned backbone, and side impact/outrigger supports under the doors. All have had some impact on aluminum construction.
It's all good...

·
6,546 Posts
Keith, Red Headed Step Child WITH a CHEVY. ;)

:D

Can't wait to see the pictures.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If this car doesn't have an identity crisis, I don't know any that would...
I figure, if it can stay out in front, it stands a chance...

Got loads of pics, still got to put a page together...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts