Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This swap was pretty easy. No tunnel mods required other than covering the old hole and cutting a new hole where the new stick sits. I'm using a GPS speedo so the speedo gear issue does not apply. Put a very beefy new Cosmo Racing (Camaro Racing Spec Short shifter Firebird/Camaro Z28 T5 Transmission 83-03 Strong Shaft) short throw shifter on it and brass shifter fork guides (siliconed in place). Drilled mount holes in the motor mount, a bit inboard from the Mustang setup and cut off a mount knob off the bottom. I was amazed at how strongly built the '93 S10 tailstock is compared to the 1987 Mustang WC T5 unit. I rotated the stick in the shifter base plate 180 degrees so it leans toward the steering wheel and a little forward. Nice to have it closer and at a more natural upright position.

Attachments

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,463 Posts
Nice job, youre gonna like the forward location of the shifter better! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mike

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another view. Now all I need is the larger 16mm 1.5 thread shift knob. The Ford knob is too small. Still shopping for one.

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! How many inches does it move it forward?
This moves the center of the stick at the base forward about 8.5 inches. With the reversed Camaro shifter I have installed, depending what gear you're in, the knob is now 4 to 5.75 inches to the side from the steering wheel and @1 inch forward to @1 inch back of the wheel. Very nice rally setup with no wasted arm movement.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
This moves the center of the stick at the base forward about 8.5 inches. With the reversed Camaro shifter I have installed, depending what gear you're in, the knob is now 4 to 5.75 inches to the side from the steering wheel and @1 inch forward to @1 inch back of the wheel. Very nice rally setup with no wasted arm movement.
Thanks. I am planning on doing the same thing and was curious where the shifter would actually wind up.

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I am planning on doing the same thing and was curious where the shifter would actually wind up.
I viewed a very good youtube video that steps through the process. You'll have to drive out a single roll pin. Leave the thing in neutral as there is a hole below it to allow the pin to be pressed out. Advice I have is to be careful when removing the top cover with the shift forks. Put the tranny in neutral first and be careful not to move the forks around on the cover shaft assembly. Just lift and push to the cover to the right side of the opening. Reverse the process to put it back, slide it from right to left. No big deal to put the fork assembly in the right orientation later if you let them slide out of position, but it is a little tricky like a Chinese puzzle. Another video showed me how. Use lots of tacky grease to hold the ball bearing and spring in place when you are putting back the shaft socket where the stick plugs in. Leave the bolts loose on the tail while pushing the socket back on the shaft to give you some wiggle room. You can not do it if the bolts are tight. Don't lose these items:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I really wanted to do this on my build but was unable to find an S10 tailstock, despite months of searching. I finally ended up relocating the shifter knob with some linkage. I have never driven a C*bra with the rearward shifter location but it just looks awkward to me. The relocated shifter makes the shifting effort just like any other car. Pics and details on my shifter relocation can be seen here: Flaircraft's budget build I start discussing the shifter mods about halfway through the linked post.

Reactions: CNIDog2

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, S10 tails were not easy to locate at a reasonable price. It took time but I found mine on eBay for $150 just missing the stick assembly. The new stick I got was $159 after giving up looking for a decent used Camaro or S10 stick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts