Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized I am missing the set screw on the lower steering shaft universal joint. And that the splined shaft that comes out of the flaming river unit is jamed up against the inside part of the universal. So I am now wondering if the slines on the flaming river part are actually catching inside the universal part now. I can see the groove section and the splined upper section. But is the rest of the shaft splined enought to not strip and cause a loss of steering? I might need to get the little short piece that you have to drill and put a bolt through to get the shaft back far enough so that I can get a set screw to go into the groove.
Did that make any sense?
If you look haard at the pic you can see the splines are up inside the universal instead of flush with the inside of the hole. So it is jammed up inside.

Here is the small shaft with the bolt in it. I think it will need to go further inside the steering column shaft.

[ July 05, 2007, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Cobra Cory ]

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
If yours is the mk2, The FR lower is in three pieces.

The DD shaft, the upper and the lower.

You should be able to take it apart and set it up as you need to.

The set screws are available at lowes Home depot etc.

·
3,217 Posts
Paul - Obviously the loctite I used on the set screw didn't hold properly. I did countersink the shafts, so if the countersink dimple on the shaft doesn't line up with the screw hole anymore, then the shaft has moved inside the knuckle.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
on the splined rack shaft there is a groove.

It looks like your U joint is positioned ok.

If you loosen the U joint at the DD shaft it will allow you to lower the U joint to the correct location.

easy...just loosen off the joint and slide up and down as you need!

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
when its in the correct position if you want to make it permanent have it welded...you can weld Stainless to regular steel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.