Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching, and for some reason, all of the graduation threads are shy about the inside of the trunk, no one seems to include pics.

I'm working on the breeze hidden trunk hinges, and I've seen several ways to mount them. I'm interested in seeing a finished trunk with these installed so I can see how the hinges are molded in to look good. It looks like quite a bit of filler finesse to get it back to looking good.

My car is a MK3.1.

Thanks!

·
Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Kevin,

I just sent you an email with a bunch of pictures from my files. May not be exactly what you are looking for but may help some.

I have noticed you back on-line lately. It's good to see you are getting back into your car project.

My best, George

·
Registered
2,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Here's mine. Miller's Customs but I think they are one in the same. Rounding off the corners would help to soffen the edges.

·
Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys!

@Scott, oh yes, I'm well aware of your body work thread, it both gives me tons of information and hope, but also scares the crap out of me. ;->

@mat - thanks as well.

Both of those trunk lids are MKII's, I think, which are a little different than the MK3.1.

The rub is that MK3's have this little rounded part where the normal trunk hinges go (actually, they don't fit that well either.)

This is the same type I have, I'm curious how you would go about finishing that so it blends in well. (this is not my trunk lid, it's RobCYoung's). Do you just try to feather from the cut out downward to the base of the hinge, or just fill and sand so it's a hard line? Seems sort of hard to make it look decent.

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Mine's a MK3.1

·
Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine's a MK3.1
Just goes to show how dynamic the parts are on these cars. I'm not sure what the number is on your car, but as I understand it, the all-aluminum trunk lid (inside) was a earlier version that wasn't found on 3.1's. Yours appears to be flat all across that bulkhead side rather than having the S-type curve where the usual brackets would be.

Mine has those, and the trunk lid is all fiberglass, with a little teardrop hole.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Here is a link with pics that may help. Check out post #8

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/195018-breeze-hidden-trunk-hinge.html

I did mine this way and it turned out really nice. Any imperfections were fixed with a little filler. The only problem I had was, The holes showed (bulged up) where my painter filled them on the trunk and body. I took it back to have them fixed and it looks great now.

The yellow is just grease pencil to reinstall it in the location it was removed from.

BTW Scott L, great bodywork thread.

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Just goes to show how dynamic the parts are on these cars. I'm not sure what the number is on your car, but as I understand it, the all-aluminum trunk lid (inside) was a earlier version that wasn't found on 3.1's. Yours appears to be flat all across that bulkhead side rather than having the S-type curve where the usual brackets would be.

Mine has those, and the trunk lid is all fiberglass, with a little teardrop hole.
So true, I think mine was duing the transition from the MKIII so it was likely a mix of parts.

·
Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a link with pics that may help. Check out post #8

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/195018-breeze-hidden-trunk-hinge.html

I did mine this way and it turned out really nice. Any imperfections were fixed with a little filler. The only problem I had was, The holes showed (bulged up) where my painter filled them on the trunk and body. I took it back to have them fixed and it looks great now.

The yellow is just grease pencil to reinstall it in the location it was removed from.

BTW Scott L, great bodywork thread.
Thanks Doug, man, I wish I had seen these BEFORE I cut out the trunk lid...but as they say, you can't unscramble eggs. I actually saved all of my pieces, and I'm tempted to glass it all back together and start from scratch. Hmm, need to play with it a bit more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.