Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stripping the rear end to paint and would like to know what stays and what goes with the 3 link and coil overs.

Does the balance weight at the pinion go??
How about the bump stop on top of the pinion??

Pics of an install would be great!!

Thanks to everyone that answers my silly questions!

P.S. Got my new 60 gallon vertical air compressor wired up to 220 today....The Modness begins!!!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,595 Posts
Dan,
I have plenty of pics. Check my build site below or if you just want to come over, I'll be out on Saturday working on it.
Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Cobra!
The weight goes...one of the holes is used for the
axle bracket. We didn't have a bump stop on ours,
but there is nothing for it to contact anyway,
as I recall.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks champ...pics are great. Did you cut off the ears on the top of the diff....the ones for the 2 center links on the stock 4 link??

I was just going to whack the bushings with a BFH after torching the housing a little.

·
Charter Member
354 Posts
I used a sawzall to remove the ears on top of the diff, I also cut off the Quad shock mounts from the axle and the coil spring mounts from the frame. There are some pics showing this at my build site.

HTH

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
I elected to keep the ears on the differential. Thought I might move the limit straps to the center of the axle one day as suggested by some folks here and the ears might make a good attachment point.

Getting the bushings out of the ears is a bear. Just using a BFH won't do it and torching that rubber will make a stink like you would not believe! I used a tip from another forum member about drilling the rubber then letting the bit "walk" around the bushing to eat a circle around it. I detailed how I did it on my build site but here's a direct link to the particular page:
http://www.fastlanemotorsports.us/UProjStepDetail.asp?projectid=4&projectstepid=18

I dumped the stock spring perch from the chassis before powdercoating. I elected to keep the quad shock brackets on the axle because I used them as the lower attachment point for the limiting straps initially. Depends on your limiting strap philosophy and that's a whole other thread...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts