Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of what is going on with the front lower nose section of the car. It sits in a garage since delivery (8 mo. ago) and I have not touched the body as far as bodywork (nor will I). Did some "spring cleaning" today and noticed it. Anyone seen this before? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Ted

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
Ted
You need to get rid of that body immediately!!!

Send it to my place :D

Seriopusly it looks like it came that way where the gel coat didn't make it onto the mold very well. I'd assume it would be a quick fix for the winged cruisader or his co-hort streetrodpainter :D

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. I'll send it right over...

I just noticed it and paniced. Thanks for the note. I am looking at starting the beast this coming weekend. Pretty excited. Finishing up the last of the wiring this week. :D

Talk to you soon,

Ted

·
5,042 Posts
I see some possible gel coat voids here. What's that? Its basically a bubble inside the resin, just under the surface. Before any painting or prep, shine a flashlight or work light under the body and look for the super-light areas. When found, use a spike or a pick to try to break the body surface. In places you will be able to expose the void which will then get filled with West Epoxy during the refinish process.

But don't worry. Your body will be fine if you do this.

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
Looks like an extra $100 bucks to me :D Just kidding, not uncommon, it's just in the gelcoat. ;)

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I've been rolling OTFLMAO with these replies. Here I was worried and find out is is nothing. Thanks for the replies.

Hey bat...when are you headed back out this direction to AZ?

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mr Pink...I'll give it a try. :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,312 Posts
That's called "Alligatoring". I caused by thin gelcoat. The lay-up resin attacts the thin gelcoat like paint remover and wrinkles it up before the resin cures. It's easy to "miss a spot" or "go light" when spraying gelcoat. Know big deal.. sand & fill! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts