Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's coming down to the wire now. I pick 5132 up on Monday. For those of you who picked up, do you have any advice? I have my E350 extended cargo van, with my full deck open trailer. I got 4 used Harley rear tires to set the frame on. Do I just tie the chassis down with regular car tie downs? I think the body comes bolted to the frame, so I shouldn't have to restrain the body at all, or am I wrong? I plan to take the Orient Ferry across and then drive up to FFR. Then I'll just drive the whole way home.

My pickup date was originally for today, but you can only pick up from 8 to 10am. I changed it to the 12th so I wouldn't have to leave at like 3 am, and could spend time taking a tour. There were supposed to be a bunch of guys picking up today also, where are you all?

Thanks as always. :D

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
First, try to wipe the grin off your face when you walk in. Game face and all. Next, allow yourself plenty of time. Everyone at FFR is friendly as hell and will be more than happy to talk to you. And the red-haired guy who's helping you load is probably Dave Smith.

I assume the tires you're bringing are unmounted. Plop the frame on them and use your tiedowns to tighten the frame down until the tires squash flat. Any slack that develops, as well as big bumps, will be absorbed by the tires. Your E350 will digest eveything else no problem. The body is securely bolted to the frame and everything else is taped or screwed down.

The gas station nearest to FFR doesn't take credit cards, but the restaurant further up the road has good food.

Stop 10 miles away and pretend to check the tiedowns while you admire your new toy. Be prepared to make lots of new friends every time you stop.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sal, my friend and I picked up #5126 today. WE used a 1000 lb. rated utility trailer and had 2 pallets under my bare frame. Just as Oldguy668 described, used 3 ratchet tie downs securing the frame to the trailer. The body comes taped up with duct tape on all the panels. You could use a 1 ft square red flag to attach to the rear if it extends past the trailer as ours did. All of the boxes except the seats fit into the back of my short bed Ford Ranger pickup. Towed it home at 70mph for 2 1/2 hours without any problems. Old School from LI picked his up today also and was taking the ferry home from New London. After unloading and securing in my garage we proceded to consume vast quantities of cold beer. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it! John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,899 Posts
It looks like rain also. Just be sure to wipe down your aluminum panels shortly after you get home from all the road salt and sand. If you don't clean the salt off they will start to pit after a while and it's a bitch to polish out. Ask me how I know........G.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.