Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MKII will be ready for pickup on June 26, and I am looking at delivery options.
Stewart has quoted $1100, and I'm thinking that's a bit steep.
There's always the option of renting a U-haul and driving it back to Houston, but that's a long way, and at least three days travel time. Has anyone else gone with this plan? How did you guys get the car back to your house?
I know that this subject is lurking in archives, but I can't seem to come up with the majic word combination.
Thanks-
Scott

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you can swing it, I would recommend Stewart. Those guys have it figured out. It is literally in your garage delivery, plus just watching them is more fascinating than some events that I have paid $50 to $100 to see.

Tanner

·
5,573 Posts
If you can do the drive in one day with one hotel stay I would do your own pickup...thats what I did. With a multiple day, multiple hotel stay trip I wouldn't bother...not worth the savings in agrivation of finding a good place to park over night and gas and lodging costs.

·
Junior Charter Member
49 Posts
My wife & I went and got our in February 2003 from Detroit in our 2001 Mountaineer with a Snowmobile trailer. Now we were considerably closer than you are, but we drove out in one day, stopping to visit the George Eastman House (Kodak) in Rochester, NY for a while. We picked it up the following morning, visited Boston (which was very cold at the time) and then spent the night back in Rochester, NY before completeing the trip the third day.
We based our trip on seeing new things and hotel & gas costs. We felt it was worth it and wouldn't mind doing it again (with better weather).
If it were me, I would look at the hotel costs and then think about going up the coast from Florida, maybe making a little vacation on the way up then heading pretty much straight home.
The lessons I learned were if you set the frame on blocks, nail the block to the trailer so they don't work their way out and bring plenty of tie-downs, bungie chords and large tarps in case of rain. Also we had the car body packed full of boxes and everything but the two front seats in the Mountaineer so make sure you have plenty of room.
Good luck,
Ethan

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
If you have to take days off of work, pay gas, tolls, trailer rental, hotels, food, etc, just how much are you going to save?

If you were considerably closer, I'd say pick it up. Otherwise, Stewart is your best bet.

·
Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget
228 Posts
I rented a Penske truck and hauled it back myself. (I lived in Detroit at the time.) I actually looked forward to it because I wanted to see the factory and I've always enjoyed road trips. This was just another road trip. Stewart wasn't a known option back when our car was built, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably still go the same way.

In my case, I happened to hook up with another guy in the Detroit area (Steve Schwall) who was scheduled to have his car shipped out the same day I was picking mine up. We worked out a deal ahead of time to split all the truck rental and gas costs. I then simply rented a bigger truck and hauled them both back together. Saved a ton of money--not counting my time, of course. You might be able to find someone along your route who's taking delivery about the same time and work a similar deal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
just a possible suggestion,contact whitby motorcars a vendor on this forum see when and if you could pickup at their shop and if there would be a discount on shipping,would cut travel time down to 18hrs.just a thought.lol chuck525

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was going to Drive from Kansas out and pick mine up, but as i looked at the gas prices and heard of the toll prices, i had Stewart deliver it. The only problem wsa that they didn't send one of the trucks with a fork lift on it. Plus I live on a street that is not easliy accesible by Semi. So i bought some beer and had 4 guys from work help me load it onto a trailer. Pretty easy to lift with some extra helping hands. I would have liked to see the factory but was not looking forward to the daunting drive out! Stewart was the best option for me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a cheaper price because they sent the truck without the lift in it , so i had to unload it myself. It was only like $800. If they had sent a fork lift truck it would have been like $1000. Call and ask them about that!

·
Registered
160 Posts
From Houston .. you're pretty much stuck,

Unless you want to take a vacation to the Notheast! The $ savings all the way from Houston would probably be under $400 considering gas/hotels/meals etc. I too picked mine up, but also live in Detroit area (too many FFR's in this area!) No way would I drive from Houston... just my opinion.

Slipp

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I drive all over the country doing the NMRA races. I can tell you right now, from Long Island to Houston is a 3 day trip EASY. And that's going quite a bit over the speed limits most of the way. And it's a few more hours past me to FFR. Then you have to drive 3 more days back! So you are looking at LEAST a full week of travel time, gas, tolls, motels, and possible damage to your car. If you are going to use an open trailer, forget it. Rain water stains the fresh aluminum panels very quickly, and you rarely drive across the country and not hit at least one patch of rain. I admit $1100 is a lot of dough, but honestly it's your best bet. Just my 2 cents.

·
Senior Charter Member
161 Posts
If you have the time, it could be a fun drive. I drove from Michigan last May and opted not to stay at a hotel or stop to sleep. It took a little extra time to load up at the factory and I think I was awake for about 2 days straight. Some where in Canada, on the way back, I was side swiped by some sort of giant bird. It left a 10 inch diameter dent and broke the trim around the wheel well on my friends Sonoma. If you have a comfortable truck, someone to share the driving with, and vacation time off work that you won't use for anything else, then go for it.

·
Junior Charter Member
565 Posts
Scott,

I had the same dilemma almost exactly a year ago. I was going to drive my motor home up, pulling a farm trailer (no hotel cost). Once I figured out what gas was going to cost, and when I factored in the possibility of something getting stolen or damaged, I just bit the bullet, and called Collin Stewart. Plus, the thought of driving for three or four days straight, with all those toys just a few short yards away, yet not being able to get my hands on them, well, it just seemed like torture!

Stewart's trucks are slick. They're custom made for the job, and the whole unloading affair took less than thirty minutes. As others have said, if at all possible, I would have Stewart handle it.

Plus, there will be no crate left over for you to worry about your wife locking you into!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,291 Posts
I can admit after dropping all that money on the kit it is a bummer to spend $1300 in my case on the shipping. I am in Cali, so it was not cheap, and I think the rates have gone up now as well. But you have to get the kit and sometimes it is just not reasonable to drive to get it. I think even if you called around you would not find it much cheaper from some other shipping company, and Collin supports this board and has made many other members happy with good service. They call you along the way and let you know the status. The drivers are friendly and know how to handle the kits.

Nathan

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to say thanks to everyone who has responded. I considered the enjoyment of touring the southern battlefields and going through D.C. against the week of travel time, gas/hotel costs, and the prospect of potential damage to the car.
Stewart seems like the way to go, and I have talked to Collin Stewart and given him the green light.
Now I just have to wait until the first week of July.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,626 Posts
You made the right choice, I am closer than you by 10 hrs and when I crunched the numbers it was a wash on the costs. The big difference was that when you pick the car up, its yours. When Stewart delivers, its not yours till its delivered. My scheduled delivery was June 26, but as it was explained to me, that means it is scheduled to be built that week. My point, perhaps our vehicles will be on the same truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts