Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have detailed pictures of how the rear cockpit sheet metal in a Mk3 is supposed to go together? I spent way too much time scratching my head yesterday.

I found photos of a Mk1 which looked totally different to me, and some posts in the archives with links to posts with pictures but all the links are broken because of how they split the forum up.

I can see wasting hours for something that should take five minutes to figure out if I had a couple photos

Specifically the upper and lower panels at the rear corners of the cockpit are what don't seem to be making sense to me...

·
1,752 Posts
George,

I'll go take a couple of pics and post them in a few minutes.

·
1,752 Posts
George,
Here you go. Keep in mind that I didn't use the FFR ones. I used pieces that I bought from Chris Richrds (Mass-Flo EFI). He had them made because the FFR ones were a PITA.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,324 Posts
George,
Before you start on this have the women and children leave the area. If you are like me you will discover "colorful new phrases" that here-to-for didn't exist in the English language
All kidding aside I actually had fun with this part of the build I would invest is a cheap break or at least a pair of the "duck billed" vice grips. IMO this is one area where FFR misses the mark. Bottom line is these pieces should fit without having to beat,stretch and bend every piece. When I finished this it gave me a lot of satisfaction. Don't worry about what it looks like as long as it's solid since it will be covered with carpet. Also don't put any of these cockpit pieces in permanently till after you go-cart.
HTH
Russ.

[ May 06, 2007, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Scalded Dog ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I just did this the other day and with a little tweaking here and there, it wasn't so bad. I looked at a bunch of pictures first and once you get the basic layout figured out it looks like you can put the rivet tabs on whichever side works best for you. I've seen pictures of them all different ways ... both top and bottom panels over cockpit rear, both under, one over one under, etc.

You're not going to see it from the inside and rarely from the outside (unless you have a tire off).

As Russ said, it actually is pretty satisfying and I've had much tougher build issues than this.

GL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts