Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know my car, FFR #1152, burned to death last month, in a fire we believe started at the alternator plug...a lot of discussion among forum participants helped pinpoint the likely cause, for which I am grateful. Anyhow, we're in a rental house for a few months while the fire damage to our home is torn out and repaired, and to pass the time, we're going to build a new Mark II FFR to replace #1152. We're calling it the Phoenix Project.

The Mark II is set to arrive by Stewart Transport Tuesday 3-19, I've got a fairly empty garage to work in, a new box of tools and workbench from Sears, Lynn's in Europe with some students for 10 days, I got my AmEx card right here next to the keyboard, this rental house has a DSL line, and I ain't got many parts lined up yet...I'm a dangerous desperate guy in parts-selection-buying mode!!! My job is to get all the parts needed for the build here by the end of April, then we plan an intense 10 day effort to assemble the Mark II and have her ready to seriously autocross and street all summer.

Here's what we're building: IRS on Cobra R wheels, with 327 stroker longblock/AFR heads from CCM, using a Painless framwe wiring harness to which we'll splice the Ford engine harness and computer for EFI. I've figured out some stuff and got the parts coming. I have still to define the intake, brake, fuel, cooling, and charging systems, and get the right parts pronto. Probably lots of other stuff I've not thought of yet, too.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any ideas or answers you may have as issues come up while I try to make some quick correct decisions regarding the build. This is going to be fun, but a little more intense than when I built #1152. Biggest difference (besides the Mark II hardware) is the existence of so many knowledgable FFR folks willing to share and help on the forums that have developed since 1997. I'll be posting!

·
Registered
315 Posts
John, I'm glad to hear your getting a new car so quickly. I have a Motolita steering wheel for sale but no adapter hub, a FFR heater complete, FFR fuel line and brake line rolls,FFR shift handle, extra sheets of .040 aluminum,mustang master cyl. and proportioning valve and more. Let me know if you need anything I have or may have. Don :D

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
thats sounds great to me, just one question, where is the place your getting your engine from i never heard of it and can't find it online, CCM?

Eric

·
Charter Member
80 Posts
John, I've got one of the new and improved 3g alternators with your name on it, just let me know when your ready.
Tom

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom, you got mail my friend! I talked to you almost a year ago about that alternator, but decided to pass because I didn't want to make a change to my equipment just before driving #1152 on the Stooges trip across the USA to Sacramento...thought a new change to my engine setup could cause an unforseen problem on such a long trip. Then on returning I was just too darn lazy to follow up on the alternator retrofit. Boy did THOSE decisions come back to haunt me!! Anyhow, I'm on for a 3G. Thanks.

Eric, my engine is being built by Central Coast Mustang in California. They came highly recommended by a number of Forum members I really trust, and I'm confident from talking to the builders they'll do a good job. Let ya know how it comes out in a few weeks when I see the finished product.

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: John Phillips ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
John,

Good luck on the build. 1152 was one of the most publicized FFRs around. I look forward to following your Phoenix project. Be sure to post often and take pictures.

I know you drove the wheels off that car and you had installed cruise control for the long trips. Will you install it again and have it built into the dash?

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: TNCobra ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ken, cruise control's already on order from Wayne Presley, with a dash-mounted control instead of the stalk control I had before. Thanks for reminding me to check back with him! Sure glad I had it on the Stooges trip...especially returning home to Florida after my ticket in Nevada, I had to be sure to keep it legal the rest of the trip.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
717 Posts
John,
Congratulations. If you can get it done in time, caravan up to the DVSF II with the rest of the Floridan's. We'll make sure you have an appropriate place to show off your newest and greatest! :D
DV

·
Senior Charter Member
654 Posts
Good morning Eric - I believe he means Central Coast Mustang - CCM.
Good Luck John - please keep us updated on the rise of the "Phoenix"
Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
John,

So glad to hear you're moving along. You're gonna need some beefier front springs - though they're easy to retrofit. I just installed a speedway rear sway bar and it took some time and thought. The mapstone rear bar requires you to drop the tank so it'd be easier to do it up front if you go that route. SS brake lines are real nice to reduce pedal sponginess.

Best of luck!
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
John,

You probably want to get either porterfield R4S or carbotech pads - either the panthers or the super streets if you aren't going on the big tracks.

Or if you go to one of the power brake solutions, you don't need to be as careful with pads.

Mike

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: mike m ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts