Factory Five Racing Forum banner

461 - 477 of 477 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
730 Posts
The other day I installed the side view mirror. I carefully aligned the mirror post to the body.

IMG_5058 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_5056 by jhsitton, on Flickr

I was tipped off by my buddy ScottieC (on the other forum) that getting to the mounting screws was a real bear. It was.

IMG_5061 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Dry fitting was easy enough, but as soon as I got the lock-tite on the screws, I dropped them down between the body and the foot box. Fortunately I was able to use a magnet to drag them to the opening for my O2 sensor wire. Oh - I also dropped the socket head down there too.

Once mounted, I discovered that visibility SUCKS! I can’t see anything farther back than my rear tire. I probably could change the angle of the post to make things better, but that would mean taking everything apart & drilling new holes. To maximize visibility the mirror post would have to be skewed diagonally up & down. I’m not doing that, so…

I placed an order for the Breeze side view mirrors. When they come in, I’ll mount them along with the wind wings and take the F5-provided mirror off.

John
John:
Sorry I didn't get this response to you sooner. I have bullet mirrors on the fenders and went with convex "mirrors" that are really highly polished metal disks the same size as the mirrors themselves. I will be putting up a post on my build thread soon. The convex pieces cost me $10 for 2 and you can't tell they are metal vs std glass mirrors. They work GREAT to get an excellent view over the rear fenders. This may still be an option for you if you want to give it a try. Wonder what the mirror shake will be on any mirror mounted to the windshield posts. Just a thought for your consideration.
Looking good
Best
Ron

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah John, I'm with Craig and every time I see activity on your build thread I expect to see that you got registered. I'll stay on the edge of my seat.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
Ha! No title yet. I called the DMV on Monday, and the lady confirmed they had received my application package but hadn't looked at it yet. She told me they were still processing applications from September.

My guess is that the Fall is when the DMV receives the most applications. Everybody works during the warmer months and wraps up in the Fall.

John

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
...Wonder what the mirror shake will be on any mirror mounted to the windshield posts...
I did a short test drive in the neighborhood today. Shaking is not an issue at all - at least at speeds <25 mph! Visibility is better than in my Jeep, so that's a bonus.

John

P.S. Still nothing from the DMV.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
John,

You're doing a fantastic Job and almost complete! I'm going to miss watching your build when your done.

What are you going to do with all the extra time when you're done? (Besides giving yourself a well deserved pat on the back for at least a few months) :grin2:

With a little playing around and taking some iPhone videos, I found the perfect location so that the catch was centered in the latch.
John
Would you mind sharing a video of it catching? Mine offsets the trunk lid too. I'm curious to see this work.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Thanks Dave. Hopefully, I'll get my title & tags soon; I want to finally do the New Year's Day cruise with the National Capital Area Cobra Club (my good friend CraigS has been the organizer the past couple of years). In the spring, I'll do the usual shake down and hopefully cure the slop in my front bearings. Sometime in the summer I plan to get on Kleiner's waiting list for bodywork & paint. After that I plan to drive A LOT!

I'm sure eventually the newness will wear off and I'll be looking for a new challenge. If history is any judge, that challenge will be total immersion in a different culture of hands-on work.

John

P.S. I'll post some video of the catch operating shortly.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Trunk Latch Video

Here's the clip of my trunk latch working:

IMG_5087 by jhsitton, on Flickr

To get the video, I placed my cell phone like this:

IMG_5086 by jhsitton, on Flickr

and had the camera in "selfie" mode. A flashlight helps illuminate the scene.

To find the fore/aft placement of the eye, I temporarily installed the F5-provided latch pin. Then I painted the inside of the latch hook with nail polish. Operating the latch left a mark of wet polish on the latch pin; that told me where to place the new eye. To find the left/right placement, I just eyeballed how much the hook pushed on the F5 pin.

John

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #468 (Edited)
Sun Visors Installed

Today I installed my sun visors.

The sun visor screws are source of great angst. They go directly into the windshield frame, and if too long, may result in cracks in the glass. Further, as picah pointed out in Post #315 of his build thread (https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/494817-my-reasonably-authentic-427-s-c-build-log-2.html), the provided screws are the wrong size. Just as he described, the windshield is drilled & tapped for 3.0mm x 0.5 screws.

These are tiny screws - 0.180” in length versus 0.260”.

IMG_5093 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_5097 by jhsitton, on Flickr

I purchased stainless screws 4mm long from bolt depot (https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_machine_screws_Phillips_flat_head_Stainless_steel_316_(A-4)_3mm_x_0.5mm.aspx). They should be just a hair longer than the windshield frame is thick.

IMG_5100 by jhsitton, on Flickr

A little blue Loctite on each tiny screw and the clips were in place.

IMG_5104 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Another drop or two of Loctite on the set screws, and my sun visors were installed.

IMG_5112 by jhsitton, on Flickr

In other news, the DMV cashed the check I sent in with my title & registration paperwork. I’m expecting a call from a law enforcement officer any day now (he’ll check to make sure I haven’t installed a stolen engine). After that, I wait a day or two and then go get plates!

John

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
Got My Plates Today

Just like the title says, I got my plates today.

In VA, you submit some paperwork, write a check, and send your package to Richmond. A while (in my case six weeks to the day) a law enforcement officer comes to make sure the photos you sent in look like the car in your garage. Yesterday Officer Friendly (not his real name) spent about five minutes with me, handed me my title, a VA VIN plate with the F5 frame number on it, and a couple of rivets, and told me to use his rivets to fasten the VIN plate to some part of my car that was permanently attached. I put the VIN plate on the frame under the dash on the right side, matching the position where F5 etched their frame number on the left. He left before I could get out my drill.

This afternoon I went to the DMV, where the nice ladies tried their best to give me antique plates. They were thwarted, however, by the computer in Richmond, which knew I had a replica titled in 2018 rather than a 1965 car. When I pointed this out, they happily gave me regular tags.

Next step is to finalize my insurance & get the car inspected. I’ll send an application to Robbin Terry at Midwest Classic Insurance; his quote was 1/3 the cost of USAA’s collector car affiliate.

John

IMG_0005 by jhsitton, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You got a quote from USAA? I'm curious. That's what I probally will use. All my insurance is through them. I have had them from 21 yrs. They haven't failed me yet.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
You got a quote from USAA? I'm curious. That's what I probally will use. All my insurance is through them. I have had them from 21 yrs. They haven't failed me yet.
All my insurance is with USAA as well. But their quote was double what I've read on this and the other forum, so I'm going with Midwest Classics.

Doesn't hurt or cost anything to get a quote though.

John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,362 Posts
I have been w/ Allstate for 52 years but that didn't matter. My agent, when I got the FFR was even a kart road racer, so I know he tried his best, but Allstate simply does not insure replicas. So I went to the local State Farm agent (had read about that from several here) and offered all our DD and home and life insurance if they would cover the FFR. They said great....and called back the next day to say they had contacted their guy in the big office who said no way. Insurance is a weird business.

·
Registered
552 Posts
OUTSTANDING, John!
JR

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #474 (Edited)
Center Mirror Installed

Last week I installed my center mirror. I asked Bill Dane at ffmetal.com if he could make a bracket to mount the mirror from the top of the windshield (Dark Water Customs appears to be defunct). He said yes, and delivered a beautiful piece.

IMG_5167 by jhsitton, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Bill supplied hardware, but it was just a little too large for my taste. NOTE: Bill’s hardware is good stuff; I just preferred a slightly different look. I used #8-32 screws with acorn nuts for the mirror attachment, and #6-32 for the windshield frame (the #6 nuts are small and thin enough to fit in the slot at the top). I took it for a short test drive and the mirror is just what I needed.

Thanks Bill!

John

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
Last week I installed my center mirror. I asked Bill Dane at ffmetals.com if he could make a bracket to mount the mirror from the top of the windshield (Dark Water Customs appears to be defunct). He said yes, and delivered a beautiful piece.

Thanks Bill!

John
You're certainly welcome. FYI, the web address is ffmetal.com

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Thanks Bill; I fixed the web address in the post below. I hope you get a ton of orders!

John

461 - 477 of 477 Posts