Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 477 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did it. On 28 April, I ordered the Roadster Complete Kit. It should arrive sometime next week. I’ll inventory the parts, and then go on two weeks vacation. Then Build School on 17-19 July.

My plan is to build a car that I can drive from my home in Fairfax VA, to Monticello and back without feeling like I'm being beaten up. I don’t intend to race/autocross/drive on anything other than public streets.

I’ve never built a car - in fact, I’ve never really worked on one - and it’s unlikely that I’ll build another. So mine’s going to be gold plated. :001_smile: Here are the specifics:

Roadster Complete Kit
• Powder coated frame
• Ceramic coated headers for 302
• Body cutouts
• IRS
• Vintage gauges
• Wind Wings
• Sun Visors
• Heater
• Wipers
• Chrome Roll Bars (driver & passenger)
• Black Wilwood brakes (no power or hydraboost)
• Roll bar grommets
• Center dash support (I plan to add a console, so we’ll see if I end up using this)
• Leather steering wheel

302 Engine with EFI
• Will probably get the engine, bell housing, clutch, and transmission from the same source to maximize the chances of everything working together out of the box
• I may let CraigS talk me into a 331 depending on the cost, and depending on what I learn at Build School. Rousch Racing is going to talk to our class about engines; I’m looking forward to that.
• Mechanical throttle linkage
• 90 degree oil filter adapter (if necessary)

Transmission
• Tremec T5z
• 0.63 overdrive
• Hydraulic clutch

IRS
• 3.55 gear ratio
• Aluminum bushings for the pumpkin
• Spherical bearings (maybe)

Wheels & Tires
• 17" FFR Hallibrands. I know there have been delivery issues, but all the FF5 options were half off, so how could I say no? Plus, I know they'll work with the Wilwood brakes.
• Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR 255/40ZR17 front and 315/35ZR17 rear
• Again, I may let CraigS talk me into a slightly wider 275/40 front

Steering
• UniSteer power steering rack from Breeze (received)
• Fast Freddie's EHPS system (received)
• Offset steering rack bushings from Breeze (received)
• Breeze front lower control arm bushings (maybe)

Seats
• Haven't worked those out yet, but will add seat heaters

Cosmetics / Discretionary Items
• ABS (maybe; we’ll see if the FF5 front spindles come with provision for the tone rings and sensors, or better yet, with tone rings already installed)
• At least an attempt to do some sheet metal modifications, starting with the passenger foot box (and if that goes well, maybe a dropped trunk and who knows what else)
• Gas-n side pipes
• Cobra Earl's foot box fresh air vents
• Firewall Forward Kit (thanks howardsoflang!)
• Engine compartment battery box
• Breeze EzePak Cool Kit
• Russ Thompson Turn Signal & Throttle Pedal
• Heat shields for pipes - either Finish Line's or Drummer Mike's
• Tangent Franken-Bolt elimination kit
• Breeze behind seat cubby
• Roadster aluminum radiator panel from Replica Parts
• Trunk support kit from Replica Parts

Thanks to everyone who commented on my build plan, to all the guys who took the time to publish build threads (especially the lesser experienced builders - you know who you are, and I appreciate every detail you included) to edwardb (who probably saved me a bunch of money and headache by wisely urging me to wait and see what parts work well together rather than buy everything up front and at once), and especially to CraigS (who spent an entire afternoon making me smarter and has already volunteered to help with delivery)

John

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Chassis Dolly

The first thing I did was build a chassis dolly. I based it on one I saw here on the forum, but have misplaced the link so I can’t credit the original builder. In any event, it will hold the frame ~14” above the floor, and took about 8 hours to build.

IMG_0830 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Note that I built the dolly in the air-conditioned splendor of my finished basement. If the body buck would fit through my 30” access door, I’d build that downstairs too. I used to live in Las Vegas; out there, I didn’t bother putting on shorts until it was 100+. It’s 90 degrees in DC today with humidity off the charts, and that’s hot no matter who you are!

John

·
Registered
552 Posts
Chasis Dolly

I got the dolly plans from Walker619 MKIV Build Thread credit to chrisarella. Now all I need is a kit.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JRCuz: Get you one of those sweet 20th anniversary kits. I know at least a couple of folks who want to see the new IRS up close and personal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
No room

It's very tempting, but I only have a 1 car garage and have to sell a '94 HD and a '72 Corvette to make room for a Mk 4 first.
JR

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the call today

Stewart Transportation is scheduled to deliver my kit Thursday morning at 9:00 a.m.

My wife said "It's like Christmas!" :biggrinparty:

My 7-year-old said "Are you getting a new Prius?" :eek:

O the shame.

John

P.S. FedEx is scheduled to deliver my wheels tomorrow. So it is like Christmas!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Received my wheels today

They're a lot bigger in person than they appear in pictures.

IMG_0859 by jhsitton, on Flickr

John

·
Administrator
6,986 Posts
John,

You did a great job setting up the build specs. I agree with everything you have planned. I do have a suggestion on the drive train; A few vendors here offer full turn-key setups. A couple I have dealt with and can recommend are Forte's Parts Connection and Wayne at VeryCoolParts.com.

I did a lot of the same mods as you are planning and am running a BOSS 302 with Holley HP EFI. It turned 375HP on the dyno and is configured so that I can bolt on another 125+ HP with a supercharger. I don't have any desire to though; 375HP is enoth for me!

Here's my Build Thread if you want to see pics and compare notes:
15th Anniversary Build Thread - TheFactoryFiveForum.com

Best of luck with the build! We're here to help with any and all questions you may have along the way.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks David. I'm pretty sure Forte will be my source for the drivetrain.

I also appreciate you sending me the link to your build thread. It's one I hadn't yet stumbled across, so I'll be poring over it in the next few weeks. I go to build school in the middle of July, so I'm going to wait (impatiently) before jumping in. Your thread will provide a welcome distraction!

John

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's in the garage

Don from Stewart Transportation called at 8:30 to say he was just getting on the beltway and would be at the house in about half an hour. At 9:00 a.m. sharp, he pulled into the cul de sac.

IMG_0864 by jhsitton, on Flickr

When he opened the doors, I'm sure I heard angels singing - "Laaaaaaa"!

IMG_0865 by jhsitton, on Flickr

In no time at all, the kit was unloaded and safe in my garage

IMG_0812 by jhsitton, on Flickr

The only thing left to do was find the steering wheel, jump in, and make "Vroom, vroom" noises.

IMG_6726 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_0869 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Of course, my buddies CraigS, Kevin, Tom and I spent the next couple of hours looking over the frame, body, and just generally staring. Boy oh boy what fun!

John

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
First hiccup

This didn't take nearly as long to happen as I was hoping.

While pushing the chassis into the garage, one of the "stilts" connecting the caster to the chassis dolly broke off. Nothing was damaged on the car, but boy was I embarrassed. Fortunately, I had plenty of scrap and got the errant corner cribbed up.

IMG_0872_2 by jhsitton, on Flickr

So here's the first lesson learned: If you're going to use stacked 2x4 to get a little extra height on the chassis dolly, (1) use enough glue to get a good squeeze out, (2) clamp the "stilt" to get pressure rather than rely on wood screws to clamp it for you, and (3) add side plates to secure the "stilt" to the cross member.

In other words, AFTER doing this:

IMG_0871 by jhsitton, on Flickr

Be SURE to do this:

IMG_0874 by jhsitton, on Flickr

John

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Congratulations! Getting the kit Makes it all start to be real!

The real fun now begins...

Carl

PS. I live in Nokesville and I am working on a Mk 4 roadster as well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the pics, it looks great. Keep us updated. So cool
JR

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Carl,

I've been following your build thread, and am very impressed with all the sheet metal mods you've done, especially in the trunk. If you're willing to show them off, PM your e-mail address to me.

Cheers,

John

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks JR. If you'd like to drop by, send me a PM.

John

P.S. That 20th anniversary edition is calling your name. :evil:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,349 Posts
Let me know if there is a group visit to Carls. I haven't been over for 5-6 weeks and it's time for an in person update.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I hear it calling my name but I'm too old school I think. I'm going prob. at least 351 based block with carb and tko 600. I'd love too drop by some time. I don't get up that way much though. The first 289 slab side I ever saw was at Ted Britt Ford in Fairfax in the show room in 1963. I'll send pm
JR

·
Registered
633 Posts
I used a 351w block and bored/stroked to 408. I wanted old school too but went with FAST EFI - looks like a carb. Warning - crazy fast!! ImageUploadedByAG Free1434983246.437565.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Let me know if there is a group visit to Carls. I haven't been over for 5-6 weeks and it's time for an in person update.
After a lousy weekend nursing a sinus infection. I will be working on Saturday and Sunday if any of the NoVa folks want to drop by.

Carl

1 - 20 of 477 Posts