Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver side door latch cover has been rattling and clanking for quite some time now. Tightening the two screws even just a teeny bit is futile due to the steady disintegration of the threads in the latch casting. I was a bit leery about re-tapping the holes as the pot metal the Brits use is more like adobe than real metal. Since there were some threads remaining in those two holes I thought it would be slick to use this thread repair goop. I watched the video and it seemed like a good thing so I got busy. They say the working time is 3 - 5 minutes. Don't believe it, it's more like 30 seconds no matter how you try to mix it. Short story is it didn't work worth a darn. Save your money.
So I got out a #36 drill and opened up the holes and then ran a 6-32 tap in there. Couple drops of blue loctite and done. I just hope the casting holds up othwerwise it'll be time for a new door latch.

Frank

·
8,022 Posts
I've had really good luck using JB weld. Spray the bolt with Permatex silicone lube and let it drip dry. Cover the bolt threads with JB weld and install the bolt. Wipe off the squeeze out and leave overnight. Only thing to remember is that the bolt will not go in any farther once the JB weld sets up so you'll either need to use a washer or a slightly shorter bolt.

By the way the hole will need to be free of oils etc or the JB weld will not stick so clean it well before you start.

·
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main issue was trying to pack the compound into those little holes before it got hard which as I said happend real quick. It might be better on a regular sized bolt hole. They include a release agent and instructions to de-grease everything with brake clean. Now that I know the procedure, JB Weld might actually be the better solution providing the screw releases afterwards which was one of my concerns going in.
Frank

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Try a toothpick..:)

They work great in wood holes that have been stripped..

·
8,022 Posts
Try a toothpick..:)

They work great in wood holes that have been stripped..
Cool idea, that should provide a certain amount of thread locking too. Not sure whether the tight fit might cause the crap casting to break though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.