Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a birthday coming up in a few months and was thinking I’d ask my family to contribute to a performance driving course instead of buying me gifts I probably don’t need.

I’ve found a course at a track not far from home, it’s two hours in class then track time with an instructor in my car.

Interested to hear from anyone who’s done this and what their experience was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
812 Posts
Go for it! It will teach you how to control the car and stay safe.
The course I took also included a water skid pad which was extra fun.
Of course it all takes practice as well. I've had mine on a couple performance driving weekends.
With my new engine I'm contemplating taking another class just to get used to it all over again.

·
8,127 Posts
If you have dual roll bars you should be OK. I don't know of any groups where an instructor will ride without a roll bar. Learning how to drive competently on a track and learning the handling of the Cobra are two completely different challenges. If you want to get experience on track the Cobra is probably not the best car to learn in as you will be too focused on the handling nuances (short wheelbase + too much power) of the Cobra and not concentrating on learning track skills. Consider doing the driving school in your daily driver (or a rental LOL). If there are Auto X's close to you that is a great place to get to grips with the handling of the Cobra. Either way just do it. You will have a blast.

·
Premium Member
17,774 Posts
I encourage everyone in our club to do something like this. You're not trying to be a track god. But you will learn a lot about driving your Cobra. You will be a much better driver.

·
Junior Charter Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.
I emailed the company asking about car restrictions, here’s their response:
“The only restriction we need to adhere to are sound levels which cannot exceed 100db. Otherwise, as long as your vehicles are mechanically sound and have a passenger seat, then you are good to go”

I’ll have to see how loud my car is...

·
Junior Charter Member
745 Posts
I have been doing track days in my modified M3 for two years. I'm also an old dirt track racer. Last year I brought the Cobra out to the track. The track director told me don't be stupid, stick to the BMW. Said Cobra at 500 HP and solid axle is a recipe for a wreck. Just then a guy in a fairly stock 68 Camaro lost it in front of us on the parade lap and piled into the concrete barrier. Decision made!

Now if you are doing a true performance training/learning, open space, skid pad etc... then that is great. I agree everybody should learn the breaking point of our cars in a safe environment.

Stay safe and have fun. Keep us posted this Summer.

Troy

·
Snake Farmer
10,261 Posts
That would be a great gift!
You will learn more about entering & exiting corners, shifting, braking, acceleration, etc, then how your car handles. Although it would give you more of a feel for it, in a controlled environment. You might get a few pointers on set up as well, depending on the instructor. Performance driving school is not like track days, so I would take it.

If you want to learn how you car handles, you need a big huge parking lot to take it out and throw it around. Better still if it's wet, so slides, drifting, and spinning out, is exaggerated. You'll have far better car control after doing this a few times..:)

·
Junior Charter Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m surprised anyone is recommending against taking a race car to a race track.

I’m not planning to take the car racing and beat it on the track or compete.
I just want to learn about driving on a track.

Of course things can go wrong but I’d rather wreck the car inbuilt in my garage than one of my daily drivers. I built the cobra once, I can do it again.

·
Junior Charter Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Of course things can go wrong but I’d rather wreck the car inbuilt in my garage than one of my daily drivers. I built the cobra once, I can do it again.

·
8,127 Posts
Voice of experience. Yes they are performance cars but the handling of these cars is not very forgiving at the limit. The result is when you do reach the limit you are going at a significantly faster pace. Been there done that.....

·
Registered
812 Posts

If you go with a reputable company they ill not let you get in over your head. Most of the time the instructor will limit speed to keep everyone safe.
If you go further and want to slide around there are schools for that as well. A skid pad is a great way to find your car's limit and how it feels before something bad happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts