Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a ride in a friends Mk III (Thanks Elf!)with the street performers, and test-fitting myself in my low-backs I've come to the conclusion that I need more leg-room. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam. I've done a search and read the posts, but the question remains...how far back does the Wilwood set-up move the pedals? An inch...2 inches...? Currently my kness are above the 2x3 dash tube and quite bent. I do plan to raise the steering wheel and also bolt the seat to the floor. High back Kirkeys are not an option...not the look I want (do they have a low-back version?). Carving some material from the seat cushion is a possibility.

Will the pedals be enough, or do I need to continue the quest for leg-room? Anyone near-by have a Wilwood and low-back set-up?

Dave

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Yes, Kirkey makes a low back vintage race seat. I bought the high back Pro Drag Kirkey which is the same dimensions as their Vintage Race seat. Went from knees hitting the dash and not beingt able to see the pedals to actually being able to move the seat too far away. Spacing the master cylinder out and or adjustable brake push rod helps as well. Eric

·
Junior Charter Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buckeye. I'll look into those seats. Are you going to London this year?

·
Junior Charter Member
746 Posts
Expanded foot box and Breezes canted seat installation will help with comfort as well.

Troy

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts

·
Administrator
7,017 Posts
HighSpeed,

The Wilwood setup gives you 2" and the Kirkeys another 2". I plan to cut :eek: my intermediates down to the vintage size (BTW the vintage seats cost MORE the the intermediates :rolleyes: ) and will mount the headrest to my roll bar.

·
Junior Charter Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info. Thanks! I may fit my lanky butt in this thing yet!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Which seat were you in? You said you had "a ride".
Passenger footbox is way smaller than driver. I have a 32" inseam and I can stretch my left leg all the way out on the driver side, I can barely sit on the passenger side.
Pedals are very customizable.

·
Junior Charter Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct, it was a ride. I have previously sat in the driver's seat and it was way too crowded though. One of my helpers, and future passenger, went for a ride in that car also and she is 6' 5". We agreed that the passenger side needed to change...footbox mods. I'm concentrating on the driver's side first and if the Kirkey seats are used, I hope that will add to the passenger comfort too. Good catch!

·
Junior Charter Member
35 Posts
Highspeed,
Make sure you find a "tall driver's" FFR to sit in before assuming you may not fit without expensive modifications. I am 6'4" with a 36" inseam as well. I have a MKI with the steering wheel raised an inch or so, the stock FFR classic seats tilted back slightly on an adjustable seat track, and the stock pedal box with manual brakes - moved the pedals as far forward as possible. I can FULLY outstretch my left leg once I get it by the clutch pedal! I did find that playing with the tilt of the seat makes a significant difference. I did not have to remove any foam from the seat cushion. Now the passenger side is another story....
Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.