Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Motor goes in tonight. The GT-40 Crate motor has the FI style valve covers, with the single fill tube/cap and hose "T". I had the standard COBRA covers before with oil fill/breather and PCV on opposite covers. I have a Carb & Edelbrock aluminum manifold.

Ultimately, I will invsetigate the modification to put my old valve covers back on, but for now will use the new ones that came with the motor.

What did you do for crankase evacuation/breather with the newer valve covers?

(PS - Pat has fist rights to the new covers if I eventually swap back to the old covers.)

·
4,342 Posts
Here's what I did.
I removed the fill tube from a set of FI VC's that came with the crate motor. Wanted to install a breather/fill and a PCV. So I got this baffled breather adapter and breather from Wysco from Jeg's. Fits right into the fill tube opening. The PCV valve is from Billet Specialties also from Jeg's or Summit. That neeeded a litle drilling and grinding to make a hole in the other VC. I swapped the baffle that came from Ford over to that side.

Wysco billet breather adapter

Looks pretty good, I think.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I tried baffled breather, tall double baffled breather, and still had oil vapor come out during track events (of course right onto the burning hot header). This is what I am installing now with a 10AN line coming from the drivers valve cover. The pass. I have a PCV plumbed to the carb base.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
I, too, had oil pushing out the breather on high rpms and open track days. I had a AN fitting welded to the valve cover and ran a line to a Jazzcan remote breather.

Roscoe

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, good info.

Just to get the motor running, any quick & easy ideas?

I found the modification for the older COBRA covers, and will eventually do that.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
chpsk8, my old motor had the EFI covers. I put a mini breather on the spout that is on the filler neck and milled a hole in the other side for a PCV and grommet. I think thats the quickest fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts