Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. In a post about a month ago, 3 link bracket question I had a bracket that didn't have the spacers welded in. Sent it back to FFR. Got the new one yesterday. Now. Does anyone know if the brakets were re-engineered at some point? The spacers for the panhard bar I had before fit fine now there is a large gap. And what's up with the slot where the panhard bar blots up. I don't remember the old I sent back having one. I also had to twist the panhard bar all the way down. Did the length change on it? I could have shifted the rear end / frame in the time waiting for the new bracket to come in so this may be a non-issue.

(Ignore the bolt. I know it's the wrong one. The correct one is on the floor)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm.. There does appear to have been a change at some point. Here's a pic from Hozr's 3 link instructions:

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ron. I have that doc. The issue was I had a bracket that was missing the spacers that needed to be welded in for the lower control arm. There was a lot of slop. I sent the bracket in for exchange and got back a reengineered bracket.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Paul not haveing my car in front of me can't say what if anything is different. may just need different sapcers to make up the gap.
The bracket is supposed to be sloted. That is how you adjust the angle of the pan hard bar. Close to level as possible.
Once you get the bar bolted up. You find the rear wheels need to be centered in the frame. This is done by adjusting the length of the pan hard bar.
Once adjusted more threads will end up showing on the ends. Don't worry about the lack of threads showing now.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
I'm not convinced thats the correct bracket, unless they have really changed it. It looks like the shock mounts directly above the panhard bar instead of offset. That would mean the sum of the length of the spacers for the panhard would have to equal the sum of the length of the spacers for the shock; which they don't unless they were also changed. You would need FFR to send out longer spacers as well since you have spacers for the old setup. The spacers for the shock equal 1.125" and the spacers for the panhard equal 0.675".

Aditionally: If the passenger side bracket changed, did the driver side bracket change as well? Will there be a downside to the shocks mounting differently side to side? I'd get on the phone to FFR.

Thanks for nobody pointing out the error in the spacer specs for the lower shock mount! 0.25" shim. oops.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shock does mount above the panhard bar with this bracket. I'm curious about if the driver side changed as well.

·
Junior Charter Member
376 Posts
My car is from early June of this year, and the bracket looks like the top one here - when attaching the bolt for the panhard bar, the bolt goes through the bracket, and through the original bracket that is welded on the axle - so the nut is inside the original axle bracket. I never thought twice about it - it seemed reasonable. They must have switched the bracket at some point ?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,726 Posts
Wasn't there a redesign to allow more wheel clearance-maybe even allow 15 inch wheels? Mine is like Hozr's above where the outer plate is straight.Pauls would allow more clearance to the wheel.PS I cut and welded the h-ll out of mine to get 15 inch wheels on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi. The panhard bar bracket has been redesigned to clear some of the larger wheel/tire combinations. It should take four 1/4" (or two 1/2")spacers to center the rod end in the bracket.

·
Junior Charter member
15 Posts
Not sure if this is your issue but the spacers are different on each side. The spacers for the axel bracket should be 1/4 while the spacers on the chassis mount is 3/8.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After talking with FFR, Craig hit the nail on the head. They were redesigned to allow more clearnce for 15 inch wheels and I needed to have additional spacers for the new bracket which they are sending out. As an FYI Bob Kay from FFR (whom I'm assuming is RKay above) said the driver side didn;t interfere with the 15 inch wheels so it remains the same. Just adding this for search archive purposes in case someone else has a similar problem.

Thanks to FFR

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Now ....there is a redesign that will same some hassles for the 15" guys. Brings back distant memories of the cutting, grinding & welding I had to do to get clearance for my passenger 15's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recieved the same panyard bracket, without the inner wall, last week with my kit. I used the addition spacers to make up for not having the additional inner wall in the bracket but my I have concerns of the bolt bending since the new design moves the bolt to a shear and bending load whereas the orginal design was a double shear load only for the bolt. Any thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts