Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Passed N.Y. state VIN inspection

356 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  wnstwolf 
#1 ·
I tried to make the car as correct as possible. I kept the efi setup with all the smog stuf in tact and working. Cats are in place, I double stick taped a third break light on the deck just behind the passenger compartment, I mounted a little badge with the shift patern just in front of the shifter, and I mounted a reverse light off of the rear over rider.
Tuesday morning with car in tow, my father and I headed north to the Kingston Theft and recovery inspection station. The gentlemen were very seriouse, very polite, and really nice. An Official respect was used by both parties. I was instructed to bring my car into the garage were I was guided onto a lift. I opened the hood and the trunk, and was then asked were I mounted my vin number :eek: . Assuring the inspector that I was not trying to be a smart ass , I comented that I thought that that was what I was there to get. He said no and my VIN number was supposed to be FFR1477. I was at a loss for words. I figured he would send me home to fix my mistake and the prossess would start all over again. Well after a moment or two of uncomfortable silence he said we could figure that out later and I should step outside while they conduct the inspection. 20 long minuts later, I was brought back in and handed all of my paperwork back. He assigned me a new VIN number which was at this time in sticker form adhered under the dash. He instructed me to punch the number in several locations on the frame , and with a smile and a handshake I was given the aproval papers and sent on my way.
We went home and had a noon victory beer and waited for my 2:00 front end alignment appointment. when that came we delivered the car to the garage and waited and watched while they did the alignment. 2 hours later it was done. 10 more minuts and it was inspected. I paid the bill and handed the mechanic a 12 pack of heinekin for being so carefull with my baby. One mor peice of papper and I will be able to register it and acualy drive it!!! The VIN man said it would take about 1 week to process it. If all goes well I should be on the road sometime duing the week of the 15th. Can't wait. :D

See less See more
#2 ·
CONGRATULATIONS SACH !
I did everything by the book too (in Missouri) and finally got My plates yesterday after a minor skirmish with a Captain at the Highway Patrol while getting My VIN plate attached. I listened to him rant about how I would never pass the safety inspection because I had no bumpers, back up lights, reflectors or side pipe shields. I just kind of acknowledged how stupid I am but didn't bother to tell him that it was the Patrol who determined that the car had to be registered as a 2002 and that new vehichles don't have to be inspected or emissions tested for 2 years
. The first legal cruise last night was a sweet reward.
Tom

#4 ·
I think I got too happy too soon. The tech group at the dmv just called my wife back an said there were two problems.

1) I don't have a defroster. She was told that K mart has dash mounted units that sell for around $35 and all I had to do was mount one and take a picture.

2) none of the marker lights are DOT. I have to get new lenses and side markers and document everything.

I get the feeling that it is going to be another season down the tubes. I can't believe the junk heaps I see smoking there way down the road and the state is going to improve its highways by keeping my car off the roads. :(

#5 ·
Sach, I can't believe how difficult NY is being with you. When I started reading your post, I was amazed at all the stuff you did getting ready for the inspectation. You could always move to Texas where they are more worried about how long of burn out the car will do. Good luck with the final two steps.

To the rest of you who passed your inspectations, congrats!

Galt

#6 ·
Sach,

The DOT reflective lenses are an issue in CT also in addition to the FFR supplied headlights not being DOT.

In CT I have seen that one can simply "add" reflective discs to the rear of the car because the Tail Light lenses are not reflective. In some cases I have seen the 1 inch dia. stick on round reflectors "stuck" on the end of the quick jack bolts.

I am sure these little stick on reflectors fall off pretty quick as they are not really properley attached to the car.

Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.