Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who bought your Optima battery there, what is the part no.? I'm looking for the group 34 version. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Troy: For the future....Keep in mind that you will fry the Optima if you ever try to use a "fast" high amperage charge. So... if for whatever reason you need to charge some day... you must use a slow "trickle charge" @ 1amp... and usually for 18-20 hours. The boys at AutoZone will do it for free.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
I bought mine at Cosco, it is group 75/35. The part number is Red 75/35, and model # is 12853, CA 910, CCA 720, and RC 90. Hope this helps.
Lile

·
2,860 Posts
Take a look at these sites, excellent information.

http://www.wind-sun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#AGM,%20or%20Absorbed%20Glass%20Mat%20Batteries

www.optimabatteries.com

Also FFMetal has a great box. Do not confuse AMG (Optima) Absorbed Glass Mat batteries with Gel batteries. I've had Optima (D31M) batteries in boats for years...they are able to take very high amerage for charging; in fact the limiting factor is how warm the case get. I also have the Optima 34 (red top) in my FFR. Do not use side terminals in a battery box.

·
25 Posts
For what it's worth I was going for an Optima until I read of the problems on this site and CC site. Seem to have a high rate of initial failure. Sure wouldn't get one on-line. If I was going to get one I would buy it close where I could take it back. Seems like they either work from the get-go or not at all. Seems like people who get ones that charge love them. Still looking.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
I love mine. I run 2 in my Mack truck with the liftgate running and the box lights on and off all day. 10-14 hours later, the Optimas fire that big diesel engine right up! Then, I RV charge them all night.

I love them. I have the Costco one in my Cobra's FF metal box.

Prost,
Rich

·
8,356 Posts
Originally posted by SR71:
Troy: For the future....Keep in mind that you will fry the Optima if you ever try to use a "fast" high amperage charge. So... if for whatever reason you need to charge some day... you must use a slow "trickle charge" @ 1amp... and usually for 18-20 hours. The boys at AutoZone will do it for free.
Could someone explain this, please?

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
I ahve teh Costco one and have had no problems with mine.

JIm

·
Junior Charter Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I've got the FFMetal box too.
Lile, is the p/n you posted, is that w/ top terminal posts?

Thanks all for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts