Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about the parking brake installation.

1. When I attach the handle to the tunnel, it seems way too snug against the tunnel frame. I'm apparently missing some spacers or something that holds the assembly away from the bars.

2. Where is everyone mounting the 2 into 1 Bracket? How are you mounting it? Directly to the lower frame bars?

3. I've read in a couple of posts that some people are having new cable made. I don't think that I've read anything in the manual that gives any details about it.

Can the good people of the GTM forum give me some ideas of what you've done with it?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have a couple of questions about the parking brake installation.

1. When I attach the handle to the tunnel, it seems way too snug against the tunnel frame. I'm apparently missing some spacers or something that holds the assembly away from the bars.

2. Where is everyone mounting the 2 into 1 Bracket? How are you mounting it? Directly to the lower frame bars?

3. I've read in a couple of posts that some people are having new cable made. I don't think that I've read anything in the manual that gives any details about it.

Can the good people of the GTM forum give me some ideas of what you've done with it?
1. I think I added a few washers to space it out a bit. It's kind of snug against the console when it's down.
edit: looked at my pics. no washers.

2-3. I think a bunch of us had some company in california make new cables. I just left mine kind of wedged between the frame and the aluminum back there. It hangs down a bit, but the RT skid system is way lower than the bottom of that ebrake bracket. The cables themselves are pulled up out of the way so they couldn't really catch anything.

·
Premium Member
12,077 Posts
I don't recall any spacers needed for the parking brake handle. I think it just bolts straight to the frame. I do usually.....ummmm....tweak the handle part just a bit to get it away from the center console, but you can't really space it away from the frame or it will hit the alum panel.

As for the cable bracket, I've mounted a few of them in the corner of the frame right in front of the alternator (welded some tabs to the chassis). Then had some custom cables made to fit. IMO, there is no way to use all of the stock cables and have it work out right. They just won't reach unless you have them stretched into position.....and if they just barely reach and they're already stretched, sooner or later, something is going to break/fail.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
1. I think I added a few washers to space it out a bit. It's kind of snug against the console when it's down.

2-3. I think a bunch of us had some company in california make new cables. I just left mine kind of wedged between the frame and the aluminum back there. It hangs down a bit, but the RT skid system is way lower than the bottom of that ebrake bracket. The cables themselves are pulled up out of the way so they couldn't really catch anything.
California Push Pull is the place to go to make your custom cable.
Call 530-893-4060 to speak to a real person.
Google them to see their site.

As for your # 1 question.... washers to get the desired spacing between the lever and the covers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am bringing this one back to the top.

Sorry to bring this one back to life.

Has anyone been able to make the stock cables work? Any pics?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you use the skid system from RussT you can get by, imo, with having the end of the ebrake bracket sticking out from between the engine oil pan and engine cover. The diffuser will pull the cables up so they aren't flopping around or dragging under the car.

Shane mentioned not having enough slack in the stock cables - mine seemed just fine, so it might be hit or miss depending on how your cables are I guess.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Sorry to bring this one back to life.

Has anyone been able to make the stock cables work? Any pics?

Thanks

Dave

I did. I don't have pics handy but I mounted my e-brake handle without spacers. I also used the stock vette cables. The book has you more or less run them under the motor.

But what I did was run them inbetween the motor and the motor mount on the passanger side where it mounts to the frame. Its kinda tight geting it through there but it will fit and you don't have to worry about dragging it. On the pass side it will be the perfect length but on the driver side where it mount to the spindle you will have to make a slight bend in the mounting bracket for the cable to be long enough. Works perfect. HTH

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did. I don't have pics handy but I mounted my e-brake handle without spacers. I also used the stock vette cables. The book has you more or less run them under the motor.

But what I did was run them inbetween the motor and the motor mount on the passanger side where it mounts to the frame. Its kinda tight geting it through there but it will fit and you don't have to worry about dragging it. On the pass side it will be the perfect length but on the driver side where it mount to the spindle you will have to make a slight bend in the mounting bracket for the cable to be long enough. Works perfect. HTH
Hi Kris,

Where did you mount the equalizer bracket?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
I did not mount it. It is wedged inbetween the mount and the motor. Due to the length of the cables from the mounting point to where the bracket splits into two wires it it was the perfect length. I don't know if that makes sense. I'll try and get some pics this afternoon for you if you need them.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not mount it. It is wedged inbetween the mount and the motor. Due to the length of the cables from the mounting point to where the bracket splits into two wires it it was the perfect length. I don't know if that makes sense. I'll try and get some pics this afternoon for you if you need them.
If it isn't physically mounted to the frame, (or some sort of bracket) to keep it stable, how does it pull the park brakes at the rear wheels?

You said that it is "wedged" between the engine mount and the motor?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to measure correctly in order to have new cables made. And the biggest part of that is trying to determine where the equalizer should be.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If it isn't physically mounted to the frame, (or some sort of bracket) to keep it stable, how does it pull the park brakes at the rear wheels?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to measure correctly in order to have new cables made. And the biggest part of that is trying to determine where the equalizer should be.
Stig,
I would prefer to have mine mounted as well. Once you figure out the cables let me know so I can order a set. Maybe a group buy if enough members are interested.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stig,
I would prefer to have mine mounted as well. Once you figure out the cables let me know so I can order a set. Maybe a group buy if enough members are interested.
I'm in Connecticut this week (until Thursday night). So I should have something by mid-day Friday. Once I know my lengths, I'll contact Push Pull and find out if they'll do a group buy discount.

I am also thinking about where I can get a couple of brackets that I can bolt to the frame, and then mount the equalizer to. I'm thinking of something as simple as a piece of "L" shaped aluminum that can be bolted to the inside of one of the frame rails. But I honestly haven't thought through it all the way yet.

I'll post whatever I find out.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
I guess wedged was the wrong choice of words. Its just sitting there. I don't why it works but it does and very well if I might add. FFR does not have you mount in their location either but it will work there hanging below the motor also, just worried me sitting there. I'll get you a pic.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Stig, I mounted my equizer bracket to the inside passenger Frame by the motor.
I also had custom cables made by California Push Pull so it all fit properly. Stock cables did not fit my build.

Brian

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess wedged was the wrong choice of words. Its just sitting there. I don't why it works but it does and very well if I might add. FFR does not have you mount in their location either but it will work there hanging below the motor also, just worried me sitting there. I'll get you a pic.
Hi Buddy,

That's exactly why this whole thing confused me. I couldn't figure out how it would work without finding a way to secure it in some way.

Stig, I mounted my equizer bracket to the inside passenger Frame by the motor.
I also had custom cables made by California Push Pull so it all fit properly. Stock cables did not fit my build.

Brian
Brain,

The pictures that you posted are pretty much what I had been trying to imagine, with the eq bracket secured to a frame bar, in a place that allows the bottom panels to fit in place, and also allow the cables to be run in a straight line with gradual bends to the rear brakes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Stig,
the 2 in 1 bracket does not need to be mounted to the frame or somewhere else, just for the e-brake to work. The e-brake works perfectly even with a "loose" bracket. The force of the cable connected to the e-brake handle goes to the bracket and from there via the two shorter cables to the park brakes at the rear wheels.
Imagine it to be just one cable. If it was one cable, you would not have to secure this cable to the frame somewhere in between as well for this set up to work.

Eugen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts