Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to find a site with good pad comparisons. I have FOX front brakes and turbo coupe rear disc. In the rear I also have EBC Green stuff. Seem to work well although they do squeak and dust. On the front I have basic Autozone pads. I upgraded to 5 lug lincoln rotors about 2000 miles ago and noticed that I still have the crosshatch pattern on the rotor. Obviously not very aggresive pads! I would like to upgrade the front and am looking at more Green stuff or the Hawk HPS or HP+. It is hard to compare without actully trying these pads out but don't really want to do that. Anybody have some input on what pad might work best or where I can get more info? Should I just contact EBC or Hawk to get thier input?
Thanks for any help!
Tom

· Registered
3,341 Posts
I had that setup for a long time Hawk HPS on front Greenstuff on rears. Worked well enough but was lacking rear grip. You didn't state what tires and if you are dual master cylinders, these can make a huge difference. I have 15" tires and a single 7/8" master cylinder. I needed to increase the rear piston size or pad friction. I went the radical route of Gm metric calipers aka Caddy rears w/ parking brake and that was it, the shidizzle. Then I was able to run stock $18 rear pads and HPS on the fronts. Now I am ever so slightly rear biased so on the next go round HP+ on the fronts or a proportioning valve for the rear ...
So before you try and up the front friction figure out if the rears are holding up their part of the bargain and don't worry about the crosshatch pattern. When the rears start working the stopping distance is significantly reduced.

HPS is a noticeable increase in friction from the front stock organic pads but still rotor friendly. .

Michael S.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mchael, thanks for the great information.
I have the jeep master, 315/17 Kumho V700 tires. Pretty sticky. When I went to the Green stuff on the rear from regular everyday pads it really helped. If I down shift while braking I can get the rear to lock up. Just seems like there is more braking there with a compound change.
Thanks,
Tom

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Downshifting is using engine braking and of course u know that. I agree the Greenstuff pads are way better over stock. I felt that in a neutral braking situation under heavy foot pressure there was a lot of potential in the rears. Try to find an ideal place for a few tests. Clean dry flat asphalt, come in to at 60 mph +- and hit the brakes hard with both feet in clutch and brake. More than likely you'll smoke the fronts. Until you get rears to lock and the car pivots concentrate your effort to rear brakes.
Now do the same test with the handbrake preloaded a few clicks up. The pedal should not travel as far but the braking should be about the same. If the braking is improved your parking brake is not self adjusting properly. This is an issue on almost every roadster i have tested. Get those rear pads close to the rotors and re-evaluate the braking. You will likely still need more rear brake. I always wanted to try EBC Yellow or Red on the rear. I just skipped that step with the new Calipers. Getting the brakes consistent and effective is not a 4hr job. It takes a lot of work or a lot of money. Believe me when I tell you it is really worth it. If I were to do another Roadster I'd start with Willwood 4 pot on the rear or go GM metrics on all 4 corners.

Michael S.

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I was thinking of Yellow or Red in the rear and meybe Green in the front. Good point on trying to get the rears to lock first. Once I can do that I can focus more on the front. I do feel that there is room for improvement.
Thanks for the help.
Tom

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
On an FFR the rears do a LOT more braking than a regular car once they are set up corectly. I have experimented w/ hawk pads. Found the HPS better than standard pads that came w/ the calipers. HP+ are even better but do dust more and still groan occassionally. I am now running HPS front and HP+ rear. I suspect that the only accurate info you will be able to get regarding the green stuff you have now will be from EBC. Their tech guys can probably help you by comparing them to the other compounds thay have available. I'd be tremendously surprised if they will give any info comparing them to another brand. When you talk to EBC be sure to tell them that you are interested in how the pads work at ambient temps. You don't care how they work after 6 stops since you are not racing the car. Good luck and pls report back on your findings so others w/ green stuff can have the info.

· Premium Member
2,597 Posts
I have wilwoods now, but in the beginning, I had the same barakes as you have. I had really good performance out of Performance Friction, carbon metallic pads. Those same brakes and pads are now on one of the Mustangs. No squeal and minimal dust.

I also have HPS pads on another mustang with the same brakes as you have, and they are also doing well, but do have more brake dust than the PF pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.