Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7 Cobras, one Bullitt, one chase car rockin' north on I-95 yesterday to Palm Bay for an autocross practice. Early morning, cool temps (that would change), droolers in all the cars we past.

Stopped for breakfast at the IHOP in Palm Bay. The car lot became an impromptu car show. A nice old gent asked where we were going and I told him (more on that later).

I had never been to one of these before. Sun got hot, but what a neat time. Sponsering group were super nice, laid on a nice lunch, drinks etc. Hell, even the Port-a-pottie was clean.

Happy to say that the best time of the day belonged to one of the Cobras.

Lots of passers-by came awatchin'. The old dude from the IHOP showed up with an album. Seems he went home to get it. Said he did not want to get into the "I had one once" stories without proof. Turns out he had owned two slab sides and a 500GT. There were old faded pictures. Neat! I guess somebody should have given him a ride but after spending about an hour watching, he dissapeared as quickly as he had come. Ghosts of 289's past.

Typically, S. Florida, after baking us all day, the rains cometh. My rider and I went through about 6 wash, rinse and dry cycles on the 100+ mile trip home.

Well, just thought I'd share.

Frank n Sons.

· FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,286 Posts
Glad you made the trip Frank...NEXT TIME you gotta compete, or at least let me give you a ride on a couple of runs.

Inman Lanier was FTD, not sure exactly what he ran, but it was 30 sec plus some tenths. Chuck West, Chris Evans, and I ended up close together at 32 sec plus change, and Richard Bailey, Doug Huey, Ron Hasenbuhler were also low-30's, I think. Informal practice days like this are the BEST...we must've each got 20+ runs during the day. All the Cobras (FFR's + a Superformance) were in the same run group. We stayed pretty busy; when not driving we were working the course, so couldn't compare notes or times much, and they took down the time sheets before I could look at the end of the afternoon.

Interesting point: we had some of every rear suspension system running head to head: Mustang 4-link with stock springs, coil-over stock 4-link, coil-over FFR 3-link, custom 4-link, and FFR IRS, all running "R" compound tires. Inman was head-and shoulders faster than any of us, and his setup is Mustang 4-link with stock donor springs! Moral: 25 years of racing experience counts more than worrying about what's the best hardware!

I traded cars with him a couple of runs, and one of the SCCA organizers drove my car and Inman's during the day. We concurred that Inman's car is totally dialed in, so that everything works perfectly together. He's developed his car over the past 4 years by making small incremental improvements, nothing radical, which make it very sweet.

Fantastic day, wonderful to race again after being without a car for half a year, and fun to hang with such good friends all day. This is why we build em, right?

P.S. We all hit rain on and off coming home, sometimes the hammers-of-hell kind. Boy, I missed my windshield wipers so much, I went out today and found all the parts I need to install a marine wiper setup this afternoon! Kids, Rain-X won't get you through a monsoon!

· Senior Charter Member
703 Posts
Only two more months to no RAIN. Wipers? John you had better order your hardtop. Have fun guys.
Dan

· Premium Member
8,004 Posts
JOHN JOHN JOHN... How did the bars work?

Did you do any adjusting of the rear bar and see what impact it had?

Good job to Inman... He must have some great car control to make the stock rear fast! ;)

If he installed the 3 link, Ide guess he would get another second at least.

I improved 2 seconds on the autocross course with the spec racer after installing the 3 link.

At our practice event this weekend , I was 1.5 seconds faster in Scotts stock FFR with 3 link than my brother Kevins car (spitting image of Scotts) but with the stock 4 link and springs after about 3 runs... and Scott had stock seats and Kevins had a Kirkey...

I was 4 seconds faster in the Mistress than I was in Scotts car. DotR tires really make a difference. :D

· FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John - I had a ball! I'm more of a spectator than anything else. Well, once in a while I'll race someone from a light. I just simply enjoy being around your group of guys. My fun is rockin down the road in a bunch of sharp cars and bulls...ng with everyone. Doug was ribbing me about bringing his easyout just in case. Bobbi (Adam's wife) had a couple of wonderful rides with Doug (in the car!) and really had a smile on her face. Adam loved putting his Bullitt through the paces and working the track. All in all, the Norwitch's had a great day and what's a little rain.
Thanx again for the invite.

Frank.

· FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,286 Posts
Tim, it was a good day for sure. I'll try to post next time we get asked to one of these invitational practice days, they are the greatest way to get happy with your car.

· Banned
5,303 Posts
what arms/bushings is inman using?

one problem i had with the 4 link was that even though the car was capable of going fast, stepping over the line was very expensive, and so it was very hard to get consistent runs in.

id be interested to see how his car works... i had terrible problems with it getting extremely floaty at higher speed corners in the stock config. i suppose if he is really tuned into using the roll steer that the 4 link has, it might work pretty well.

the more extreme ( = fast) a car, the more it benefits from stickier tires.

-james

· Premium Member
637 Posts
James,

Inman's rear setup uses adjustable uppers with a Heim joint at one end and factory bushings at the other, afermarket lowers with hard single durometer poly bushings and stock Mustang springs with custom valved shocks. 600lb coil-overs with the stock pro-shocks up front. No bars. He's got me convinced that he could beat me on a lawn mower.

I totally agree on the tires. R303s are much faster relative to Victoracers or A032Rs on my race setup than they ever were on the street setup. Almost makes the cost acceptable. Anyone tried a true slick out there? I've got a line on some Eagle scrubs, but I'm almost afraid to try them. With drugs, soft is supposed to lead to hard. Racing tires are the other way around, and damn near as expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.